Europe > Central Europe > Poland > Mazowieckie > Warsaw > Warsaw/West
The western part of Warsaw consists of the districts of Bemowo, Ursus and Włochy. It is primarily residential with varying degrees of density. Apart from the Warsaw Chopin Airport in Włochy and the general aviation airport in Bemowo, there is not much of regular touristic interest in this part of Warsaw.
The western districts are separated from the rest of Warsaw by railway lines, so getting there requires extra effort and is not easily achievable on foot or by bike. As not many tourists actually do that, the tourist infrastructure is almost nonexistent, save for the cluster of hotels close to the Chopin Airport.
Włochy is the Polish name for Italy, and the name of the district might originate from Italian immigrants settling there at some point in history. For tourists, the most important thing about the district is that is encompasses the Warsaw Chopin Airport and numerous hotels close to the airport. Otherwise, it is a primarily low-rise residential district with very little places of tourist interest. As the district's population density is low, getting around by public transportation might not be that easy, but it is relatively easy to get in and out of the airport by both public transportations and by car.
Ursus (Latin: bear) was the brand name of tractors manufactured there, but it soon superseded the real name of the locality, which was Czechowice. Ursus is a formerl industrial district that is turning residential.
Bemowo mainly consists of prefab residential highrises built around the Powstańców Śląskich street and the adjacent general aviation airport, a part of which is also used for mass events. The name comes from Józef Bem.
- The main streets parallel to Vistula in Włochy are: ul. Żwirki i Wigury, ul. Grójecka-al. Krakowska and Al. Jerozolimskie.
- The main streets perpendicular to Vistula in Włochy are: ul. Sasanki-ul. Hynka-ul. Łopuszańska-ul. Kleszczowa and ul. 17 Stycznia (adjacent to the airport).
- The principal street that goes through Ursus is al. Jerozolimskie.
- Main streets in Bemowo are: ul. Powstańców Śląskich, ul. Połczyńska, ul. Górczewska, ul. Lazurowa, ul. Radiowa and ul. Wrocławska.
- Tram termini in Bemowo: Boernerowo, Os. Górczewska.
- There are railway stations Warszawa Ursus and Warszawa Gołąbki in Ursus
- The bus and tram terminus Okęcie despite its name is far away from the airport (apparently this is the reason why the airport was recently renamed). The airport is served by bus routes 175 , 188 and 611 and the terminus name is Port Lotniczy.
- Obviously anybody landing at Frederic Chopin Airport will be visiting Włochy per fiat, but not many will even take notice.
- 1 Fortifications. that constituted the Warsaw Fortress in the 19th century. Four of them were preserved:
- 6 Transatlantic Radio Exchange (Transatlantycka Centrala Radiotelegraficzna). or rather ruins thereof. The twin object in Grimeton, Sweden is still preserved.
- Sports and Recreation Centre (Ośrodek Sportu i Rekreacji). Swimming pools at ul. Oławska 3 and ul. Brygadzistów 18, sports hall at ul. Obrońców Tobruku 40.
- Flying School (Aeroklub Warszawski), ul. Księżycowa 1. Parachuting, gliding, ballooning, etc.
- If plane-spotting tickles your fancy, a good spot is next to the runway end by the Obi supermarket. Most plane-spotters will choose the other end of the airport grounds in the Ursynów district though.
- [dead link] Factory, ul. Traktorzystów. "Designer outlet" for high-street brands, both upscale and popular.
- If you happen to travel by car, you my take advantage of the big box retail along Aleja Krakowska.
Restaurants are few and far between. Your best bet is heading for the city centre for a broader choice.
- Infrequent occasional parties in the industrial park at Instytut Energetyki, ul. Mory 8.
- Fort Wola Camping, ul. Fort Wola 22, ☎ .
- Gromada, ul. Żwirki i Wigury 32, ☎ . A campsite.
- Courtyard by Marriott Warsaw International Airport, ul. Zwirki i Wigury 1, ☎ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. The Courtyard is right at the airport terminal, convient if want to go to bed right after late arrival or have to catch a very early flight
- Airport Hotel Okęcie, ul. Stycznia 24, ☎ , fax: .
- Hotel Dedek, ul. Dźwigowa 43, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Basic room begins at 150 zł on the weekend.