Hankensbüttel is a town in Lower Saxony.
Take a flight to Hamburg, Hannover or Berlin. Then take a high-speed train to Wolfsburg. From there, you may take a cab to Knesebeck. Alternatively, take the regional train to Knesebeck (via Braunschweig, Gifhorn), which might be a little bit slower.
- 1 Hankensbüttel Otter Centre (Otter-Zentrum Hankensbüttel), Sudendorfallee 1 (North of Gifhorn on the B 244 federal road), ☏ . Open: 1 Feb - last Sun in Mar, 9.30AM - 5PM, last Sun in Mar - last Sun in Oct, 9.30AM - 6PM, last Sun in Oct - 30 Nov, 9.30AM - 5PM. A great place to relax and enjoy wildlife. As well as otters, there are polecats, minks, otter hounds, badgers and other animals. Very educational and child-friendly with a good self-service restaurant on site. Well worth a detour (32 km / 20 mi). Adults €8.50, children 4-17yrs €5, family tickets and student etc. reductions available.
- 2 Privatbrauerei Wittingen, Ernst-Stackmann-Straße 7, Wittingen, ☏ . Tour of the brewery available by appointment.
There are good opportunities in Knesebeck for hiking, jogging, hunting and horse-riding.
- 1 Freibad Campingplatz (Strandbad Knesebeck), An der Badeanstalt. Public outdoor pool and beach, mini golf
- 1 Gasthaus Schützenhof, Lindenstr. 20, ☏ .
- 2 Lübener Tenne, Lüben 1, ☏ . Brunch, traditional food, hospitality
- 1 Cafe Knesebecker Strandperle, An der Badeanstalt 1, ☏ .
- Tito's Bar, Posener Str. 6, Wittingen, ☏ .
- For pensions (rooming houses) and small rooms, try here.
- 1 Jugendherberge Hankensbüttel, Helmrichsweg 24, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel and Restaurant Knesebecker Hof, Wittinger Str. 2, ☏ .
- 3 Rentelmannsche Mühle, An der Emmener Mühle 1, Hankensbüttel, ☏ .
Attractions in the region are the Lüneburger Heide and the town of Gifhorn, the Phaeno and Autostadt in Wolfsburg, the historic old towns of Celle and Lüneburg as well as the Museumsdorf Hösseringen near Uelzen.