|Eastern Gulf Coast
The closest beach resorts to Bangkok, this region is an absolute tourist magnet. Its most popular destinations include Pattaya and Ko Samet, but there are also some undiscovered beaches and islands.
|Inner Eastern Thailand
A mountainous area off the beaten track, often ventured through on the way to Cambodia. It can also be used as a base for Khao Yai National Park.
The much-loved Ko Chang Archipelago, a popular island destination for beaches, palm trees and fishing villages. Some lesser known islands include Ko Mak and Ko Kut.
- Aranyaprathet — border town and the way to Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Chachoengsao — some nice markets and temples
- Chanthaburi — interesting waterfalls
- Chonburi — important industrial town
- Pattaya — notorious den of sleaze trying to clean up its act
- Prachinburi — closest town to Khao Yai National Park
- Rayong — capital of the province of the same name
- Si Racha — known for a spicy sauce and seafood
- Trat — the gateway to the Ko Chang Archipelago
- Khao Yai National Park — natural getaway that straddles the border with Isaan
- Ko Chang — fast developing island with lots of beaches and a fishing village
- Ko Kut — unspoiled and relatively unknown island near Ko Chang
- Ko Laan — small island 7.5 kilometers off the coast of Pattaya
- Ko Mak — island with white beaches that is shaped like a cross
- Ko Samet — the nearest thing to a paradise island around Bangkok
- Ko Si Chang — the island that tourism (almost) forgot
Geographically the smallest of the five regions of Thailand, Eastern Thailand contains just seven provinces. Five of its provinces border the Gulf of Thailand, and three share borders with Cambodia, all of which have at least one international border crossing (Aranyaprathet being the busiest).
While Pattaya is the original mass tourism destination, the islands of Ko Samet and Ko Chang also turned into popular beach destinations. On the other hand, the islands at the eastern tip of the region, until recently very difficult to get to, are some of the most scenic and untouched in the country.
- Angkor Archaeological Park — amazing Cambodian ruins which can be reached from the Aranyaprathet border crossing
- Khao Yai National Park — jungles, tigers, waterfalls
- Sihanoukville — beach resort in Cambodia