Jhargram is the Sub-Divisional town of Jhargram Sub-Division situated in the western part of Paschim Medinipur District of West Bengal. Beyond the Gangetic plains of West Bengal, India. Jhargram offers the most exotic beauties of undulating topography culminating in hill ranges of Belpahari, Kankrajhor in the North to the serene beauties of meandering Subarnarekha river in the South. Geography. Jhargram is located at 22.45° N 86.98° E. It has an average elevation of 81 m (265 ft).
As of 2001 India census, Jhargram had a population of 53,158. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Jhargram has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 82%, and female literacy is 71%. In Jhargram, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is he nearest airport.
Jhargram railway station is on the Howrah-Tatanagar section.
- Chilkigarh Kanak Durga temple (15 km from Jhargram). An ancient temple reconstructed in 1348, according to some. According to others, the present temple is just about a century old, the earlier Navaratna temple has been abandoned. The Dulung River flows between the deserted Chikligarh Rajbari of the Jamboni dynasty and the Kanak Durga temple. There also is a Shiva temple.
- Kendua (10 km from Jhargram). On the Jhargram-Jamboni Road and on the way to Chikligarh. Migratory birds visit the area in August-September.
- Sabitri Mandir (3 km from Jhargram). 350 year old temple.
- Jhargram Deer Park. The small zoo houses deer, snakes, peacocks, bears, crocodiles, black rabbits and various types of monkeys
- Dherua (Bank of Kansal river).
- Medical Plants Garden, Kalaboni.
- Tribal Museum.
- Rabindra Park.
- Tarafeny Barrage (49 km from Jhargram,nearer to Belpahari). Tarafeny barrage across the Tarafeny River is a small irrigation project. Migratory birds can be seen in the place. Ghagra Waterfalls is 4 km upstream. The waters rush over large rocks.
- Kankrajhore forest (79 km from Jhargram, beyond Belpahari). With dense forests, it has great scenic beauty. There is a guest house on top of the hill.
Jhargram M.P.S Green Front Resort.
Jhargram Green Park (cum Ber Resturent).
O2 (Rabindra park).
Balaji Dhaba & Resturent.
Jhargram Tandoori Food Mart with Sanchaita park.
- MPS Greenffort Eco Resort, Dahijuri, ☎ . Check-in: 9 am, check-out: 9 am. AC rooms, cottages, dormitory, conference hall, swimming pool, restaurant. AC Rooms & Cottage from Rs. 2000-5500.
- Jhargram Palace (Bookings can be done through WB Tourist dept., 3/2, B.B.D. Bag (East), Kolkata.). Was once owned by the Raja of Jhargram is now run jointly by the West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation and the royal family. It has 10 rooms plus 3 dormitories on the ground floor. The Malladev family which owns the building lives on the floor above and they aren’t the last word in luxury.
- Banani Atithi Nibas, ☎ .