West Adelaide is in Adelaide. The district is home to several beaches, popular for surfing.
The main airport of Adelaide, 1 Adelaide International Airport (ADL IATA). is in this district and is surprisingly well connected, and has daily international flights to hubs in Asia, the Middle East and New Zealand which allow for one-stop connections around the globe.
Glenelg is linked to the city in Victoria Square via the 10.8 km (6.7 mi) Glenelg Tram and takes about 30 minutes. It is the last remaining tram line in Adelaide dates back to 1873. While modern low-floor Bombardier-type trams operate on weekdays, historic trams are used on weekends and public holidays.
From the city, take A6 west for about 15 minutes, until you've arrived at Glenelg
- 1 Glenelg Town Hall, 1 Moseley Square, Glenelg, ☏ . 10AM–2PM. A rather traditional looking building in Glenelg right in front of the seaside.
- 3 Tennyson Dunes Conservation Reserve, Tennyson Beach, ☏ , DEW.NPWSNorthLofty@sa.gov.au. The most accessible sand dunes in the state, and is accessible via public transport. Though many of Adelaide's beaches have been severely damaged or impacted in some way or another, this one is a bit of an exception, where you can still see the result of what's been forming for eons. The best way to fully experience the dunes though, is to bushwalk the 1.5-km Tennyson Dunes Discovery Trail (and the trail also has an app that can be downloaded on both the App Store and Google Play), and you might be lucky enough to spot some classic Australian wildlife.
- 1 Glenelg Beach. The historic beachside suburb of Glenelg has a jetty, the Grand hotel and many restaurants and cafés. Very popular with young and old, lots of volleyball competitions.
- 2 The Beachouse, 4 Colley Terrace, Glenelg, ☏ . A coastal theme/amusement park with several small attractions such as bumper cars, slides, a castle, a carousel, an 18-hole mini-golf course, a miniature train and many other small games.
- 3 West Beach. Ideal for family walks and swimming. It is reasonably close to both Glenelg and Henley Beach. At Henley Beach there is Henley square which hosts some 15 restaurants - an excellent dining venue. All the beaches along Adelaide's coastline are excellent white sand beaches, some with public toilets and cold water showers. If you want to 'wet a line' there are jetties at (suburban beaches, from north to south) Grange, Semaphore, Henley Beach, Glenelg, Brighton and Port Noarlunga.
- 1 Westfield Marion Shopping Centre. Adelaide's largest shopping centre with over 400 shops. There are direct buses from the city centre.
- 2 Harbour Town. Mid sized mall undergoing an expansion, featuring outlet shopping, situated up against the western edge of the Adelaide Airport. Only a short bus ride from the Airport, and 30 minutes from the city centre. Also, no, this is not a spelling mistake.
- 3 Gaganis Brothers, 9-13 Bacon Street, Hindmarsh 5007 (car parking on site or Grange Road Bus), ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM, Saturday 8:30AM-3:30PM. A food wholesaler but sells to the public with an amazing selection of ethnic foods. Most items available in larger quantities.
- 1 Cafe de Vili's, 2-14 Manchester St (off South Rd, after Richmond Rd). Vili is an Adelaide producer of pastries, especially pies and pasties. This unpretentious eatery at their factory serves full meals in addition to pastries, and is particularly known for their pie floaters (meat pies in pea and ham soup). Shift workers and night owls regularly eat there because it is open 24 hr, 7 days. It is a minor Adelaide icon. It has a second location at 426 Main N Rd in the Blair Athol district.
- 2 Market 33, 33B Hastings Street, Glenelg, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A typical kind of Australian cafe you could encounter in the western suburbs.
- 3 Broadway Hotel, 61 Broadway, ☏ . M–Sa 9AM–2AM, Su 9AM–midnight. An upper mid-range restaurant with gambling machines, a bar and specialises in seafood.
- 1 Esplanade Apartments, 80 Seaview Rd West Beach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 1-bedroom from $75, 2-bedroom from $90.
- 2 Oaks Liberty Towers, 25 Colley Terrace, Glenelg, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. This property consists of seaside apartments that are suitable for vacations or business trips. Free Wi-Fi, swimming pool access and gymnasium facilities are available.
- 3 Water Bay Villa Bed & Breakfast, 28 Broadway, Glenelg South, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Accommodation in a historic 1910s building very conveniently close to the beach. However, it is somewhat costly as it costs more than $250 for a single person for a night, and its website might look a little outdated.