Also known as Afan Argoed Country Park, it is 48-square-mile (120 km2) of forest. It is set in the Afan Valley near Neath and Port Talbot. Named in the top ten "places to ride before you die" by Mountain Biking UK Magazine. Largest urban forest in Europe, set in the steep sided Afan Valley just north of Port Talbot. The forest contains several world-class mountain biking trails as well as long established graded walking trails
Flora and fauna
The park start about 10 kilometres north of the M4 Port Talbot junction. Closest rail stations are Maesteg and Neath. Buses to the visitor centre from Bridgend and Maesteg (First Cymru 32 & 36), from Port Talbot (First Cymru 23), from Neath & Swansea (First Cymru 159).
There are no fees to enter the area, although there are in some locations car parking fees.
- 1 South Wales Miners Museum, Afan Forest Park, Cynonville, ☎ . Open: April-Sep 9:30AM-5PM (until 6PM at weekends). Oct-March 10:30Am-4PM (9:30AM-5PM at weekends). This museum located in the country-side near Neath provides a look at life in a South Wales colliery. Exhibits include working machinery and records of lives of local miners. Admission: Adult £1.20.
- Mountain biking. A number of trails in the park
- 1 Bryn Bettws Lodge and Log Cabins, Gyfylchi Farm, Pontrhydyfen, Port Talbot, SA12 9SP, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Bryn Bettws features single room log cabins which accommodate 2-5 people with kitchenette and washroom. There's also a shared onsite restaurant. This is an ideal location in the Afan Valley for mountain bikers and walkers who want to explore Afan Forest Park and the surrounding area.
- 2 Willow Springs Campsite, Llwyn Y Fynnon Farm, Glyncorrwg, ☎ .
- 3 Glyncorrwg Ponds, Ynyscorrwg Park, Glyncorrwg, Port Talbot, SA13 3EA, ☎ . A small camp site set right in the heart of Afan Forst Park, with visitors centre.