Airdrie is a city of over 61,000 people (2016) in Calgary Region.
Airdrie was established as a railway siding in 1889 during the construction of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway. It was named for Airdrie, Scotland. In 1901, the first farmhouse and barn were built, followed by a post office and store in that same year. Today, Airdrie is a bedroom community and industrial centre.
Airdrie is served by the Airdrie Airport, a private airport with no scheduled flights. The closest major airport is the Calgary International Airport.
It is north of Calgary in the Calgary–Edmonton Corridor at the intersection of Queen Elizabeth II Highway (Highway 2) and Highway 567. Highway 567 provides access to Cochrane to the west and Irricana to the east.
InterCity Express (ICE) connects the Airdrie and Calgary transit hubs by a two-way express bus service.
- Route 900 runs from Airdrie to Calgary every hour, seven days a week. Route 900 operates along Main Street in Airdrie, including connections with Local Transit at the South Transit Terminal, stops in-front of Entry 2 at CrossIron Mills Mall and on 36 St by the Rundle LRT station. $3-5 one-way (Apr 2018).
- During peak commuting times M-F in the morning and afternoon, Route 901 connects East Airdrie to downtown Calgary, and Route 902 connects West Airdrie to downtown Calgary. Routes 901 and 902 do not operate on statutory holidays. $9 one-way (Apr 2018).
Local bus service is provided by Airdrie Transit, $2.25 (Apr 2018). Airdrie Transit operates three local routes on a 30-minute frequency during high demand morning and afternoon times, and a 60-minute frequency at all other times.
Airdrie's primary cultural venues include the Nose Creek Valley Museum and the Bert Church Live Theatre.
- Nose Creek Valley Museum, 1701 Main St S (at the south end of Nose Creek Park), ☏ . Sep–May: M-F 1PM-5PM, Sa Su 1PM-4:30PM; Jun–Aug: M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa Su 1PM-4:30PM. The museum houses more than 10,000 artifacts, wildlife displays, First Nations display, settler’s cabin, blacksmith shop, general store, barbershop, 4-H displays, antique cars and farm machinery, one of Canada’s largest arrowhead collections, memorabilia from World Wars I and II. $5.00 for adults, children under 12 are free.
- Airdrie Festival of Lights. Nose Creek Park hosts the annual festival in the Christmas season. Other annual festivals include the Canada Day Parade and the Airdrie Pro Rodeo.
- Genesis Place.
- 1 Crossiron Mills, 261055 Crossiron Blvd, Rocky View (10 min S of Airdrie on Queen Elizabeth II Highway), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM. Outlet mall.
- First & Vine, 136 1 Ave NE, ☏ . Tu-Th 11:30AM–3PM, 5–10PM; F Sa 11:30AM–3PM, 5–11PM; Su 11:30AM–3PM. Locally owned and operated restaurant and wine bar in the oldest remaining house in Airdrie (1905). A tapas style experience which consists mainly of smaller plates. Seasonal, local products wherever possible. Many wines are certified organic, or made with organic processes. Most wines are from small independent vineyards.
- Paros on Main, 113 Main St N, ☏ . M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa Su 4PM-10PM. Mediterranean, Greek, gluten-free options.
- Abe's Restaurant, 101-30 Market Blvd SE, ☏ . M 11AM-3PM, Tu-Sa 11AM-8PM, Su 11AM -3PM. Local fresh food served in a cool modern diner environment. Locally owned and operated.
- Pauls Pizza, 528 2 Ave SE.
- Best Western Airdre, 121 Edmonton Trail SE, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. 100% smoke-free hotel, complimentary full breakfast, exercise facility, weight lifting equipment From $89.
- Wingate, 513 Gateway Rd NE, ☏ . Non-smoking hotel, free daily breakfast, free high-speed WiFi, fitness centre, convenience store, and free parking. Each guest room is outfitted with a microwave, mini-refrigerator, and flat-screen HDTV. From $100.
- Super 8 Motel, 815 East Lake Blvd NE, ☏ . Free breakfast, WiFi, free use of fitness centre with gym next door, indoor pool and water park. Business center. From $65.
|Routes through Airdrie|
|Edmonton ← Didsbury-Carstairs ←||N S||→ Calgary → Fort Macleod / Lethbridge|
|Red Deer ← Didsbury-Carstairs ←||N S||→ becomes|
|becomes ←||W E||→ Beiseker → Drumheller via|