Jump to navigation Jump to search
Al Mukalla is in the Yemeni Highlands and eastern Yemen's biggest city, the gateway to the historical Hadhramaut region. A bustling port, it is well developed by Yemeni standards, with good roads and a reasonably smart waterfront.
- 1 Riyan Mukalla International Airport (RIY IATA) (is about 30km from the city). Was served by Felix Airways, Yemenia and others. But since 2015 all flights suspended.
- Old city
- Al-Ghwayzi fort
- Ramada Al Mukalla (Holiday Inn). Arguably the best hotel in the area. It is not in the city centre but is a few km away. It has its own private beach, swimming pool and intermittent internet. All rooms have a sea view. It used to be a Holiday Inn, but has changed to the Ramada brand. Be careful on the beach as it is rocky with sharp objects/sea urchins at low tide.
- Hadhramaut Hotel, ☏ , . Has swimming pool. On the eastern side of the city.
- Al Salama Hotel. Cheaper hotel in the old city
- Socotra – an island that is a UNESCO world natural heritage site, and very safe (in contrast to the Yemen mainland)