Albi is probably best-known as the birthplace of the painter and illustrator, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. But at least equally relevant to travellers is the Cité épiscopale, an intact set of Mediaeval buildings surrounding the cathedral that was recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site in 2010.
The Albigensian Crusade in the 13th century was named for this town which had many of the Cathars that the Church considered heretics.
The nearest airport is in Toulouse.
- 1 Albi-Ville railway station (Gare d'Albi-Ville), Place Stalingrad.
- 2 Albi-Madeleine railway station (Gare d'Albi-Madeleine).
- 1 Albi Cathedral (Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile), 5 Boulevard Général Sibille. This beautiful and impressive fortified cathedral was designed to express a renewal in orthodox Catholicism after the Cathar heresy, which had been centred in the area and whose bloody suppression by the Inquisition was largely complete at the time construction began in 1287. The edifice is primarily a brick Gothic construction, but there is a door by Dominique de Florence (Dominick of Florence) and there are also Italian Renaissance frescoes on the ceiling. Its organ dates from the 18th century.
- 2 The Berbie Palace (Palais de la Berbie), 4 Rue de la Temporalité.
- 3 Toulouse-Lautrec museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec) (Within The Berbie Palace). Jan-Mar Nov Dec: 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:30; Apr May Oct June 1-20: 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-18:00; June 21st-Sep: 09:00-18:00; closed Tuesdays; Oct-Mar. Palace gardens: Apr-Sep: 08:00-19:00; Oct-Mar: 08:00-18:00. Art museum dedicated mainly to the work of the painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (1864 – 1901) who was born in Albi. Includes the 31 posters he designed, paintings, drawings and lithographs. Adult €10, family €21, child up to €13, extra fees for special exhibitions.
- 4 Old bridge (Le pont vieux). Constructed between 1035 and 1042.
- Old windmills.
- Rugby league: Albi Tigers play in Elite 1, the top French tier for 13-a-side rugby. Their home ground is Stade Mazicou (capacity 5000) 2 km north of town centre. The playing season is Sept-April.
- 1 Café de la Prefecture, 16 Lices Georges Pompidou. Brasserie
- 2 La Mie Câline, 6 Pl. du Vigan.
- 3 Nooï, 4 Rue Timbal.
- 4 L'Etoile d'Orient, 46 Rue Émile Grand.
- 5 Crêperie - Crep'o'rama, 36 Rue Émile Grand.
- 6 Tacos Avenue, 2 Rue Mariès.
- 7 Le Sultan, 54 Rue Séré de Rivières.
- 8 Le Lautrec, 13-15 Rue Henri de Toulouse Lautrec, ☏ .
- 9 La Fourchette Adroite, 7 Place de l'Archevêché, ☏ . French cuisine
- 10 Restaurant le Bruit en Cuisine, 22 Rue de la Souque. French cuisine
- 11 Restaurant Le Pont du Tarn, 3 Rue de la Grand Côté. Haute French
- Pizzeria Del Duomo, 11 Place Sainte Cecile.