Allegany County is in Western Maryland.
- Frostburg - home of Frostburg State University
- La Vale - main commercial area, where the county mall is located
- Cumberland (Maryland) - county seat
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park
- Rocky Gap State Park — a state park with a popular lake for boating and fishing, a large lodge-style resort, and golf course.
- Green Ridge State Forest
Allegany County Transit (ACT) offers some public transportation options, particularly for the Frostburg State University students between Frostburg & La Vale, but a car is still your best option. Most towns are small enough they can be walked in typically less than an hour to anywhere, at least Frostburg and Cumberland (Maryland).
AMTRAK has a station in Cumberland (Maryland).