The village was originally an Arabic farmstead, and still has its original Arabic name (المعصرة – al-ma'sara, or 'olive press'). Today agriculture remains the primary economic activity.
From Valencia, use the metro line in direction Rafenbunyol and alight at 1 Almàssera metro station, straight after Alboraya. The red line provides direct connection from the Valencia airport, passing through the city centre. Trains run every 15 to 20 minutes and it takes about 10 to 15 minutes from the centre of Valencia, or 35 to 45 minutes from the Valencia airport.
Valencia's EMT bus 16 departs every 8-16 minutes from the city centre, and stops both in Almàssera and in Tavernes Blanques, the small town just to the south. A single journey costs €1.50 (Bonobus and Bono Transbordo cards are accepted).
Once in Valencia it is convenient to take highway V-21/E15 direction Castellon/Barcelona and then take the exit Port Saplaya/Alboraya. Alternatively use the Ronda Nort/Avenida Juan XXIII and continue passing Tavernes Blanques.
The best way of getting around is to rent a car or bike. For more local activities a bicycle is sufficient. To go sight seeing in Valencia use the above mentioned metro line 3.
- 1 Casa Modernista (Modernist House), Plaça Major. The facade of the private residence is completely covered with elaborate mosaics depicting female dancers and cherubs.
- 2 Museu de l'Horta (Museo de la Huerta / Huerta Museum), Avda del Mar, 24, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-14:00. Housed in a 19th-century slaughterhouse, the museum is devoted to the history of farm life on the huerta. Exhibits are divided into three sections exploring the traditional kitchen, household object, and agricultural tools. The museum is operated as a branch of the Museum of Ethnology in Valencia. Free.
- 3 Casa Natalícia dels Germans Lladró (Casa Natalicia de los Hermanos Lladró / Birth House of the Lladró Brothers), Carrer Sant Josep, 5, ☎ . M W 12:30 by prior appt. The Lladró family home exhibits early drawings, sculptures, and paintings by the Lladró brothers, who were founders of the Lladró Porcelain Company based in nearby Tavernes Blanques.
- 4 Centro de Exposición y Museo Lladró (Lladró Museum and Exhibition Centre), Ctra de Alboraya, s/n (Tavernes Blanques), ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Sep-Jul M-F 09:30-17:00, Sa 10:00-13:30; Aug M-Sa 10:00-12:30. Here is the Lladró Porcelain factory. Visitation is possibly only through a guided tour, which must be scheduled beforehand, either online or via phone. Tours last about 1½ hours and are conducted in Spanish, English, French, Italian, and Russian. You can visit the factory, observe the process of porcelain making, and at the end see a large collection of Lladro porcelain some worth €30,000. Photos allowed only at the collection. Free.
- 1 Mercadillo (street market), Plaça Major. W mornings. A weekly street market for local produce and other goods.
- 1 Bar Les Tendes, Avinguda del Mar, 59, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 09:30-15:30 20:30-23:00, Sa 10:00-15:30 20:30-23:00, Su 10:00-15:30. Located in an old farmhouse, this very popular restaurant specializes in rustic old-school Valencian dishes from the huerta (countryside), including assorted rice dishes (for lunch comida only) and tapas (evening). Takeaway available; reservations not accepted on weekends, so be prepared to wait. Lunch plates €7-9; tapas €1.50-7.
- 2 Lluna de Valencia, Camí del Mar, 56, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Su-Th 09:00-17:00, F Sa 09:00-17:00 21:00-24:00. Housed in an 16th-century former farmhouse, the restaurant serves traditional Valencian cuisine using locally-sourced ingredients. Diners can have a full meal in the well-appointed interior, or enjoy a lighter almuerzo on the lovely terrace beneath an enormous olive tree. Reservations strongly recommended, especially for the midday comida. Mains €10-18, set menu €20.
- 1 Orxateria Joan (Horchatería Joan), Carrer 9 d'Octubre, 19 (Tavernes Blanques), ☎ . One of the area's most popular horchaterías, it was first opened in 1964 and serves artisanal horchata and ice cream.
- 1 Hotel Estela Valencia, Avda Corts Valencianes, 120 (Tavernes Blanques), ☎ . Facilities include free Wi-Fi, free parking. Has an onsite restaurant. €32+.