From Lisbon take the €1.20 ferry boat across the river Tagus (Tejo) to Cacilhas ferry terminal. The views are awesome and is the best way to witness Lisbon's beauty from afar. www.transtejo.pt
You can also get in by Fertagus train leaving from the Roma/Areeiro, Entrecampos, Sete Rios or Campolide stations towards Pragal. Here there are several buses taking you into town. This trip is also beautiful as you have the chance of crossing the 25 de Abril bridge over Tagus river with breathtaking views.
There are also the 152, 160, 176 and 260 TST buses running from Lisbon.
And sure, you can always get in by car or taxi. If coming from Lisbon, just cross the bridge and get in, if coming from the South, get in the A2 and take the "Almada" exit. Easy as that...
Transportes Sul do Tejo offer a wide network of busses that run quite frequently between many places in the city.
Metro Transportes do Sul operates a tram with 3 lines, that connect several points in the city. A single ticket costs 0.85€ (you have to buy a card which costs 0.50€ but is rechargeable).
Almada has the best views over Lisbon. Just head towards the higher parts of the town, specially in the old part of the town.
- 1 Cristo Rei (Sanctuary of Christ the King) (Bus 101). 9AM - 6PM. Similar to the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro, this Sacred Heart of Jesus statue stands over 100 meters tall on the opposite bank of the Tejo River from downtown Lisbon. Views from the top of the statue are breathtaking, although the elevator up will cost you €5.
- Cacilhas: Visit the Church of Our Lady of Good Success and lunch at the great surrounding restaurants.
- The Riverside area of Cais do Ginjal with it's views across the river to Lisbon
- The 25 April Bridge from the Boca do Vento elevator.
- Casa da Cerca contemporary art center in Almada Velha.
- Fábrica da Romeira
- Almada Velha (Old town)
- Museu da Cidade (Almada's Museum)
- Praça São João Baptista.
- 1 Amarra ó Tejo, Rua Henriques Nogueira, ☎ . Portuguese cuisine. Intimate restaurant with great views of Lisbon.
- La Traviata, Rua Dom João de Castro 37, ☎ . Italian cuisine.
- 1 Almada Youth Hostel (Prices start at 13€), Quinta do Bucelinho, Pragal, ☎ .
- 2 Mercure Lisboa Almada (formerly: Almada Business Hotel), Rua Abel Salazar 9, Pragal, ☎ .