Alton is in Hampshire.
Watercress Line, a preserved railway, runs from Alresford to Alton.
The station provides connections from London Waterloo via Brookwood.
- 1 Jane Austen's House Museum, Chawton, ☏ . Mar-Dec: 10:30AM-4:30PM; Jun-Aug: 10AM-5PM. Museum in the house that Jane Austen (author of Pride and Prejudice) lived in from 1809 until 1817. £8.
- 2 Gilbert White's House and the Oates Collections, Selborne, Alton, GU34 3JH, ☏ . Late Mar–Oct: Tu–Su 10:30AM–5PM; Nov–Dec: Tu–Su 10:30AM–4:30PM; Jan–mid Feb: F–Su 10:30AM–4:30PM; mid Feb–late Mar: Tu–Su 10:30AM–4:30PM. Closed Christmas Day–New Year's Eve. Home of 18th-century naturalist Gilbert White, and a museum dedicated to Captain Lawrence 'Titus' Oates, the Antarctic explorer of the polar expedition with Captain Scott. Adult £9.50, concession £8.50, child (5-16 years) £4.
- 3 Chawton House Library (The Centre for the Study of Early Women's Writing), Chawton (The # 64 Stagecoach service runs daily between Alton train station and Winchester, stopping at the A31/32 junction roundabout near Chawton. The # 38 service from Petersfield to Alton is less frequent, stopping in Chawton.). Late March to end of Oct only: M–F noon-4:30PM (last entry 4PM); Su 11AM-5PM (last entry 4PM). A listed Elizabethan manor house (and garden) built around 1590, containing a library. The ‘Great House’ referred to in Jane Austen’s letters, it belonged to Jane Austen's brother. Adult £8, under 16 £4, under 6 free, family ticket (2 adults & up to 3 children) £20, seniors over 65 & full time students £6.50, disabled (free entry for accompanying carer) £3.
- 1 Watercress Line (Mid Hants Railway). Steam locomotives and vintage diesel trains links Alton's National Rail station to Alresford. A fantastic way to travel through the Hampshire countryside
The theme park Alton Towers is not anywhere near Alton in Hampshire. It is in the village of Alton in Staffordshire, about 185 miles north west.
- 1 The George, Butts Rd, ☏ .
- 2 The Greyfriar, Winchester Road, Chawton, GU34 1SB. Pub with meals, bookings recommended. mains from £12.
- 1 Alton House Hotel, 57 Normandy St, ☏ .
- 2 [dead link] Swan Hotel, High St, ☏ .
- 3 The White Hart, 139 London Road, ☏ .
|Routes through Alton|
|Winchester ← Alresford ←||SW NE||→ Farnham → London|
|END ←||N S||→ Meon Valley → Fareham|