Amherst is a town in Central Virginia.
Amherst is accessible by three major roads. Route 29 runs north and south through Amherst County. Route 60 runs east and west through the county. Finally Route 130 runs east and west and is at the southern end of Amherst County. Amherst Town is at the intersection of Routes 29 and 60.
Driving is the major form of travel used by both visitors and residents. Mass transportation does serve sections of the southern end of the county. Biking and walking is possible, however the shoulders on the roads are generally small. Hiking is a popular option as thousands pass through Amherst County while hiking the Applachian Trail that runs north and south in the eastern section of the county.
The Appalachian Trail which is in the eastern part of Amherst County, provides over 50 miles of maintained trails and shelters. The AT can be easily accessed for day and multiple day hikes via route 130 at the 'Foot Bridge' which crosses the James River into Bedford County and also route 60 at Long Mountain Wayside.
- Endstation Theatre Company (Sweet Briar College), 134 Chapel Road, ☏ . Put on annually by Endstation Theatre Company, resident theatre company of Sweet Briar College. Features outdoor theatre. Adults $15-$22, Students $7-$15.
- Travelers on Main St in the town of Amherst, serves wonderful cuisine with daily specials.
- The Briar Patch on Business 29 in Amherst is a nice bar/restaurant serving American fare for lunch and dinner.
- El Mariachi is in the Ambriar Shopping Center and features a Tex-Mex menu.
There are several fast food eating options either on Business 29 or less then a 1/4 of mile off business 29 McDonalds, Subway, and Hardee's.
- Madison Heights (southern Amherst County).
- La Carreta is a local favorite and serves a Tex-Mex menu
- Country Cooking is a budget option for a 'sit down' meal and the eatery has a full salad bar.
- Pizza Wings and Things as the name suggests you can get pizza and other things located just south of route 130 and 29 intersection.
There are many fast food options on route 29 in Madison Heights. Such as McDonald's, Arby's, Hardee's, KFC, and Dairy Queen. There is also a Pizza Hut across from Walmart.
|Routes through Amherst|
|Washington, D.C. ← Charlottesville ←||N S||→ Lynchburg → Greensboro|
|Charleston ← White Sulphur Springs ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Richmond → Norfolk|