Ammouliani is an island in Greece.
Ammouliani (Greek: Αμμολλιανή), or Amoliani, is an island in the Greek region of Halkidiki, 120 km from Thessaloniki. Until the early 1900s Ammouliani belonged to the Vatopedi Monastery on Athos. In 1925, the island was left to the families of refugees who had come from islands of the Propontis (Marmaras Sea) after the Greek-Turkish War of 1919-22. The island has over 500 inhabitants and is very touristy, as well as the small neighboring islands Drenia and Pena. You can also explore it as a day trip, best by motorcycle or quad, if you want to the less accessible places.
The island is accessible from the port of Trypiti, where there are regular ferry services. The boat trip takes only 15 minutes
The island is about 5 km in diameter. You can reach the points of interest on foot but more comfortable is to rent a scooter
- 1 Ammouliani town. is the only place on the island
- 2 Drenia. uninhabited island with beautiful beaches, beach bars, sun beds, umbrellas
- 3 Pena. small island next to Ammouliani with beautiful beaches, beach bars, sun beds, umbrellas
Amouliani's biggest attraction is its beaches. Most are accessible by bike or car, although there are some that are accessible only by boat. In addition to the listed below, there are a number of other beaches that are difficult to access but much calmer.
- 1 Karagatsi beach. Nice beach with beach bar, but it's hard to get there without a car or a motorbike. Untouched nature, crystal clear sea. Sandy beach, not very deep sea, quiet place for a nice family vacation.
- 2 Alykes beach. Very nice beach with three different beach bars, which are within acceptable distance from each other. Gentle music, nice quiet atmosphere, cocktails. Sandy beach. There is also a campsite.
- 3 Agios Georgios Beach. Nice reasonably quiet sandy beach with restaurant and natural shade. Not too many sun beds with a breathtaking view of the mainland
- 4 Gripos Beach. Nice and quiet place. The beach is small and not overpopulated. There is parking, but the last part of the road is not good. The only beach on the island with large umbrellas. There are two taverns nearby.
- 5 Megali Ammos beach. Good beach with crystal clear water and beach bars. The way there is however bad and the beach was unfortunately ugly obstructed but with a very nice view.
- Day trips to Mount Athos. From the port boats sail along the coast of Athos, where you can see the major monasteries from the water. Because of Athos' ban on women, this is the only way for women to take a look at Mount Athos.
- Islands Drenia & Pena. From the port boats leave to a small group of islands located 2 nautical miles from Ouranoupoli, where you can experience the excellent beaches
Everything you need for daily life can be found in the supermarkets and small shops in town, pharmacy, bakery, etc. as well.
There is a sufficient number of restaurants, snack bars, pizzerias, cafes in town and on the large beaches.
The nightlife is limited to Ammouliani town and some of the beach bars that point out their events.
There are a large number of accommodations listed and rated in the well-known internet hotel portals and airbnb. Since the island is quite small, you should book early in the season.
Most hotel, restaurants, bars have free WIFI. If you want to be mobile online buy a Greek sim card e.g. from Cosmote on the main land.