Amorgos is a strange, obscure and charming island of the Cyclades group.
Amorgos has two ports, Aegiali and Katapola. At the centre of the island there is the village Hora (5 km from Katapola, 15 km from Aegiali). The south part of the island is called Kato Meria or Arkesini and is less touristic.
Amorgos has been inhabited since prehistoric times. Old tombs were discovered, dating to as early as 3300 B.C. From the Early Cycladic Period, there were three major settlements, all on the long north coast of the island, and with each one being settled by different inhabitants. Modern day Arkessini, furthest southwest, was known as Kastri and was settled by the Naxians. Minoa, the ruins of which lie just above the port of Katapola, was settled by the Samians. The third settlement is near the present-day port of Egiali (also with the same name) and was settled by the Milians. Throughout the centuries, the island came under the rule of many masters, most notably the Venetians who built the fortress in the capital. They held onto the island for three centuries from 1207, until it fell to the Turks. It was finally liberated in 1832 and then united with Greece.
For centuries, the exquisite embroideries made by the women of Amorgos fetched quite high prices and greatly added to the economy of the island. In fact, many pieces are on display in European museums, with some of the finest exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Sadly, what is produced today and sold in the shops, though very lovely, is not of the same standard as was produced by the earlier generations.
Simonides, the famous ancient Greek lyric poet, was born in Amorgos. It is Simonides who is the writer of the Epitaph At Thermopylae, written on the Tomb of the soldiers from Sparta who fell defending Greece against the Persian invasion.
The most people on the island speak English. Some old people may have learned Italian during the fascist occupation in the second World War, Italian soldiers arrived here but they didn't fight against Greeks. They lived in Amorgos for one or two years.
Ferry boats and Highspeed catamaran services run daily from Piraeus.
Blue Star boats travel all year (the journey from Piraeus is about 9 hours) All ferry and high speed ferry companies : schedules, connections, availability and prices, between Amorgos, other Greek islands & Piraeus port (Athens) is here 
The nearest airport is at the island Naxos. There are every day boats that connect Amorgos and Naxos.
Within the resorts walking is the best method of transport. Bus services operate between the villages, but for total freedom hire a car. Car hire is available in Katapola, Aegiali and Hora and is relatively cheap.
Taxi from Aegiali to Katapola or opposite costs 25 euros.
The island is crisscrossed with a good selection of hiking trails, many of them rough marble glazed paths still used by donkey riders. Sunrise and sunset are very good times to hike near Aeigali, taking the bus up to Langhara and walking down to the beach is fabulous. Also the trail down from Chora to Katapoula is very good.
- Hozoviotissa Monastery. It is located on the rocks, above the sea and the view will take your breath away! Also, the history of this monastery is very interesting.
- 12 Acropolis - 12 ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΕΙΣ, Ormos Aegialis (Amorgos, near by the Aegiali port.), ☎ .
- The traditional rakomelo. It's raki boiled with honey and cinammon.
- Have a drink at the bar Zygos at Xora. It's a rock bar with good spirits and friendly people.
Ferry boats at Katapoula and Aeigali are met by owners of domatia (rooms), These are the best bets for reasonable priced accommodation. Most have kitchens and washrooms. Sometimes they are shared. Air conditioning is available in most of the rooms. It's better to rent a room at Xora (The village at the top of the mountain Profitis Ilias, fifteen minutes from the port of Katapola.
- 12 Acropolis (12 ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΕΙΣ), Ormos Aegialis Amorgos (In the center of the port), ☎ .
- Minoa Hotel, Katapola, Amorgos, ☎ . Hotel in the central square of Katapola, 80m from the boat. double €50-80.
- Agios Pavlos Studios, Aegiali, Amorgos GR-84008, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Agios Pavlos Studios are apartments in Amorgos, one of the Cyclades Islands, with a view of the Agios Pavlos beach. €60-115.
- Aegialis Hotel, Aegiali, Amorgos, ☎ , fax: . double €160-324.