Anderson is a county and city in the Upcountry of South Carolina. The city of Anderson had a population of 27,545 in 2016 with an urban area population of 75,702. Anderson County had a population of 194,692 in 2016. The city of Anderson serves as one of the three primary cities in the Upcountry of South Carolina, the others being Spartanburg and Greenville.
Anderson County is served by two airports, Anderson Regional Airport and the major airport is Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP), located in nearby Greer. Greenville-Spartanburg International is the state of South Carolina's second busiest airport.
Anderson County is served by Greyhound with a station along Highway 81 at exit 27 on Interstate 85.
Anderson's downtown is more accessible by foot, but the majority of Anderson including the mall and lake areas require a vehicle.
There are several things to see in the Anderson County area, including the famous Great Southeast Balloon Festival which is held in Anderson every Labor Day weekend. Other things to see across the area are listed below.
- 1 Anderson County Museum, 202 E. Greenville St., ☏ . Tu 10AM - 7PM, W-Sa 10AM - 4PM. Free.
- 2 Historic Anderson Downtown, S Main Street 29624. Row of historic buildings built as early as the 1800s, including the Anderson County Courthouse.
- 1 Electric City Playhouse, 514 North Murray Avenue, ☏ . Performing arts venue located near Anderson's historic downtown.
- 2 Darwin H. Wright Beach Park, Anderson Beach Blvd, 29621. Beach park with numerous activities available from simply hiking, kayaking, or sunbathing on the beach.
- 1 Anderson Mall, 3131 N Main Street, ☏ . Small regional shopping mall anchored by Belk, Dillard's and JCPenney with around 30 specialty stores and a few restaurants in its food court.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express - Anderson, 410 Alliance Parkway, toll-free: , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. $99.
- 2 Fairfield Inn - Clemson/Anderson, 117 Interstate Blvd, 29621, ☏ . $109.
- 3 Hampton Inn - Anderson Downtown, 120 Interstate Blvd, 29621, ☏ . $112.
|Routes through Anderson|
|Spartanburg ← Greenville ←||N S||→ Buford → Atlanta|
|Spartanburg ← Greenville ←||N S||→ Athens → Atlanta|
|Chattanooga ← Clemson ←||W E||→ Belton → Columbia|