Anderson Island is the southernmost island in Puget Sound and lies just south of McNeil Island. To the northwest Key Peninsula lies across Drayton Passage. The south basin of Puget Sound separates the island from the mainland to the southeast, while to the southwest the Nisqually Reach of Puget Sound separates the island from the mainland.
The Island Sounder, published by the Anderson Island Association, is the island's monthly newsletter. The News Tribune from Tacoma is available to subscribers.
The Steilacoom / Anderson Island / Ketron Island run is the only run belonging to Pierce County. The ferry Steilacoom II was put into service in January 2007 to work side by side with the aging ferry Christine Anderson. The ferry runs many times per day starting at 5:45 in the morning to 10:30PM on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (8PM other nights).
- Oro Bay Yacht Club. Reciprocity with over 60 clubs. Check their website to see the car ferry lines and the location of the ferry.
There are many small roads meandering through Anderson Island making it a classical Puget Sound island to explore by either car or bike. The main road running north/south through the island is the Eckenstam Johnson Road.
- Andy's Wildlife Park (just south of Sandberg Road and west of Eckenstam-Johnson Road). This park encompasses 170 acres of wetlands, tidal estuary and a forest. There is an extensive trail system for hikers that is best utilized in the summer months due to wet conditions. The 2-mile looped nature trail begins and ends at a parking lot on Eckenstam-Johnson Road and includes two small bridges. There is a picnic area with at table on the bank of Schoolhouse Creek near the parking area. There is also a portable toilet at the trailhead.
- Andrew Anderson Marine Park (The park is only accessible by trail from a trailhead and parking area located on Clausen Road or by water.). The core of the park was the gift of Andrew Anderson (1895-1975), a true visionary concerned with the preservation of the way of life we cherish on our island. The partially looped trail winds through a heavily wooded area with many native plants and trees. It includes enormous Douglas firs, featuring gorgeous views and ends at a beautiful tidal inlet that is a salmon nursery area and includes a 3/4 mile public beach with driftwood, shells, rocks and aquatic life.
- 1 Eagle Island State Park, ☎ . 10-acre marine park with 2,600 feet of saltwater shoreline. There are 2 mooring buoys on the west side and 1 on the east side of this remote island accessible only by boat between Anderson Island and McNeal Island, there are also trails and camping spots and the area is known for the many seals that come to sunbath. The park was named after Harry Eagle, a member of the Wilkes Expedition.
- Island Nursery & Landscape, 10204 Eckenstam Johnson Rd, ☎ . great place for plants and gardening supplies
- Riviera Lakeshore Restaurant, 11019 Country Club Dr, ☎ . Dinner Wed-Sun; breakfast and lunch, Sat-Sun only. Overlooks Lake Josephine with Mt. Rainier in the distance. You're likely to spot bald eagles and other waterfowl flying over the lake. The restaurant touts its food, beverages and service. Food is produced from local ingredients and micro-brews are served. Reservations are required for parties of 8 or more.
- Nisqually Reach Coffee Co, 10006 Eckenstam Johnson Rd, ☎ . Great Atmosphere & Good Coffee
- Anderson Island Vineyards and Winery, 9817 Otso Point Road (Corner of Lake Josehine Blvd and Otso Point Road), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. See Facebook page or Website. Family owned and operated estate vineyard and winery making only wines from our own vineyard. Tasting room and picnic area open most spring and summer weekends. Please call if have any questions about visiting.
There are many bed and breakfasts on the island, making it a relaxing get away. Be sure to check out AirBNB, VRBO or some of the B&Bs below
- Cottage at the Vineyards, 9817 Otso Point Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: Varies, check-out: Various. Self catering accommodation in the same building as our winery and tasting room. We have a 2 day minimum with NO cleaning charge. See listing on VRBO (our preferred) or AIRBNB to check calendar and make reservation. $95.
- Pierce County Library-Anderson Island, 11319 Yoman Rd, ☎ . small island library with free wifi.
- Anderson Island Fire/Rescue (Pierce County Fire District #27), 12207 Lake Josephine Blvd (From the General Store headed south, turn right and go 100 Yrds to the station on the right.), ☎ , toll-free: 911 (for emergencies). 8:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday or 911 anytime. Anderson Island residents and visitors are serviced by the all volunteer fire department. The department is equipped with two engines, two ambulances, two water tenders, one brush truck and three marine watercraft. Emergency transportation from the island can be achieved by ambulance on a regular ferryboat run, fireboat to Steilacoom after hours or depending on severity of the medical emergency and also serviced by Airlift Northwest helicopter support. Water emergencies, whether on one of the two fresh water lakes or in Puget Sound, Anderson Island Marine Division stands ready to respond.
Anderson Island is on the Steilacoom / Anderson Island / Ketron Island run and Eagle Island State Park is just a short boat ride away. The Key Peninsula which is a sub peninsula of the Kitsap Peninsula is also close by boat to the west.