Anjouan is as much develope as Grand Comore, although most ladies dress in the traditional clothes with bright colours. It adds charms to every day scenes, and will make you jaw drop more than once. But please do not take pictures without asking first. Women will not feel pleased if you take snaps without asking, and yes, they notice. Travellers tend to skip Anjouan, although if you are a out of the beaten path you shouldn't at all. The mountains and small villages in the island are waiting to be discovered.
Ouani Airport has daily flight from every of the other islands in the archipelago. One way flight costs about 50€, and tickets are sold in tourist agencies.
Travelling by boat to Grand Comore (Moroni) or Moheli (Fomboni) can be done either by speed boat or cargo boat.
- Speed boat. Speed boats sail to Fomboni. For security reasons turist are often banned from boarding in speed boats, in this case you must pay a police permit that allows you to get into it, it costs FC10.000. Always ask to see the boat and a lifevest.
- Cargo boats. There weekly cargo boats heading to Moroni and Moheli, the schedule is not fixed so you have to ask at the port when the next boat will leave. Cargo boats are slower, they take overnight to reach Moheli and 10 hours to arrive in Moroni. Be aware that there are no beds, so passengers spend the night sleeping in a chair. Prices are the same as the speed boat, but police permit is not required. Always ask to see the vessel before buying the ticket.
- Maria Galanta/SGTM has weekly boats to Mayotte and to Moroni. To Moroni boats leave every Saturday, it costs FC18.000 and the trip takes two hours. Trips to Mayotte costs 54€ andthe boat departs on Mondays.
There are plenty of buses in Anjouan heading every direction. As a general rule buses stop by sunset time, so the farer you go the sooner your bus will stop. Hitchhiking is also perfectly safe in Anjouan, turist may be asked a tip for the ride, so if you do not intent to pay make it clear from the beginning.
- Hike Ntringui mountain and Dzialandzé lake, It can be hiked from different points, although most often is climbed from Dindri (From Mutsamudu take a bus to Dindri (FC500; 30 minutes). From Dindri stop whatever vehicle on the direction of the lake, ask the driver to stop you by the lake. From the nearest point of the road there is a 20 minutes walk until the entrance of the natural park and the lake). The natural park is home of the Livingston bats and one kind of lemur. Furthermore, Ntringui mountain is the highest point of the island, and the lake the biggest source of fresh water. Visiting the lake is a wonderful trip suitable for anyone, no matter physical condition. Nevertheless climbing Ntringui mountain takes about 3h, and requires a minimum physical condition as it is very steep, even needing to use hands and feet in some tracks. However the effort is compensated by the fantastic vegetation. Climbing Ntringui mountain is absolutely a rewarding experience, you will find an exuberant wild forest full of life. Camping with your own gear by the lake is possible, otherwise Oussein Said (the owner of the only eatery in Dindri) organises home stay at his mother in law. You'll have your own room and home-made food. Entrance fee is FC2.000 per person.
- One EGG Hotel, Mutsamudu (Behind the port), ☎ , . This hotel has clean and comfortable room. The owner is really charming and thoughtful. Climatized rooms FC10.000.
- Le Papillote, Mutsamudu. Cheerful hotel with lively restaurant. Fan rooms FC10.000; Climatized rooms FC12.500. Mains at the restaurant FC4.000.
- Al Amal Hotel, Chitsangani. Prices vary from 60-80€.
- Moya bungalows, Moya. This famous bungalows have a wonderful location, and the restaurant offers yummy meals. Prices may change from FC7.500 to FC10.000. Meals at the restaurant FC4.000-8.000.
Anjouan is a very calm and safe area. Solo female travellers feel safe walking in the street, no matter the time. Said that, time to time Anjouan experiences convulsing political strikes. During strikes periods being in Anjouan is no fun, always check the news before boarding to Anjouan.