Anzio is a city in Lazio, Italy, about 57 km south of Rome. It is a fishing port, a popular place for the people of Rome to have a fish lunch, and a harbour for ferries and hydroplanes to the islands of Ponza, Palmarola and Ventotene. In Roman times it was the site of numerous villas for the elite and many fine works of art from the period have been discovered in the area.The city was the site of a significant Allied landing during World War II prior to the march on Rome. In January 1944 troops landed behind the German lines at Anzio, but defences were well organised, and a breakthrough was not actually achieved until May. Anzio was heavily damaged and has since been extensively rebuilt.
Anzio is connected to Rome by the Via Nettunense (SS207) and the Via Ardeatina (SS601) and can be reached via the Via Pontina. There is an hourly Roma-Nettuno train. The center of the town and the port are 10 minutes walk downhill from the station
- Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial, 00048 Nettuno RM, Italy. Covers 77 acres with headstones of 7,861 of American military war dead. The majority died in the liberation of Sicily; in the landings in the Salerno Area and in the landings at Anzio Beach and expansion of the beachhead.
- Commonwealth War Cemetery, 00042 Anzio RM, Italy. contains 1,056 Commonwealth burials. The cemetery may be visited any time.
- Beachhead War Cemetery, 00042 Anzio RM, Italy, ☏ . contains 2316 Commonwealth burials. May be visited any time.
- 1 Anzio Beachhead Museum (Museo dello Sbarco di Anzio), Via di Villa Adele, 2 Anzio Roma Italy (in the 17th-century Villa Adele, on Via di Villa Adele, just downhill from the railway station.), ☏ . Tues, Thurs, Sa 10.30-12.30 and 16.00-18.00 (17.00-19.00 in summer). In the same building is the Archaeological Museum. Free.
Have a good seafood meal at the port or on one of the beaches.
There are several companies offering ferries to the Pontine islands of Ponza, Palmarola and Ventotene. Out of season they are said to be rather unreliable, so it is good to check in advance.
- Proloco Ferries  [dead link]
- Caremar 
- Traghetti Lines provide a booking service for all companies 
|Routes through Anzio|
|Modern Center, Rome ← South Rome ←||N S||→ Nettuno → END|