Jump to navigation Jump to search
Appenzell is a bit out of the way. The closest motorway connections are the A1 at Saint Gallen and the A13 near the border to Austria and Liechtenstein.
- 1 Hauptgasse. The main street through town has shops and restaurants in colourful houses.
- 2 Museum Appenzell, Hauptgasse 4, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Oct M-F 10:00-12:00, 13:30-17:00, Sa-Su 11:00-17:00, Nov-Mar Tu-Su 14:00-17:00. Explores the traditions and culture of Appenzell Innerrhoden. Among others it exhibits the famous local hand embroidery. Fr. 7/4.
- Ride on the Appenzellerbahn (Start a ride from Gossau, St.Gallen or anywhere within the canton Appenzell). A good way to see the Canton of Apenzell is taking a ride on the Appenzellerbahn. As the Appenzellerbahn is made for narrow curves, it is slower which makes it perfect for watching the scenery. English-language timetables.
- 1 Landsgemeinde (Cantonal assembly), Landsgemeindeplatz. Last Sunday of April, 09:00 mass, 12:00 assembly. This is one of the oldest forms of direct democracy still practised only here and in Glarus. Once a year, all eligible citizens of the canton meet at the village square to decide on political matters by show of hands. While visitors are of course not allowed to vote, everyone is free to watch.
- 1 Hotel Adler, Weissbadstrasse 2, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel near the town centre in a historical building. From Fr. 110/140 for single/double.
- 3 Schaukäserei Appenzell, Dorf 711, Stein AR, ☎ . Daily 09:00-18:30 (17:30 in winter). This cheese factory in nearby Stein AR lets you find about how the Appenzeller cheese is being made and taste different variations. There is also a shop selling cheese. Entrance to the cheese factory and watching cheese being made is free of charge. There are several other paid activities including guided tours and events.
- 2 Berggasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli (Äscher). A world famous picturesque mountain hut at the edge of the Wildkirchli mountain.