Arad, the capital and base of Arad County, is situated in the western extremity of Transylvania. The city could be considered as a tourist stopover if you are coming to Romania from Hungary, or leaving the country. But not as a base as it lacks the same interest as other Transylvanian cities. Arad is one of the most prosperous cities in Romania, with a high income per capita.
Arad, a beautiful city situated in the western Romania on the banks of the river Mures, is only 30 km away from the Hungarian border. Before 1918 the city belonged to Austria-Hungary, which left a mark on its architecture and life style. Arad's city hall is a beautiful building which has to its right and left another two old palaces dating 2 centuries back. The "Cenad Palace" is one of the buildings old enough to justify the beauty of architectural times it was built in. The town has approximately 200.000 inhabitants, three quarters being Romanians and the rest is represented by Hungarians, Germans, Italians, Serbs and other minorities in smaller percentages.
- 1 Arad International Airport (Aeroportul Internațional Arad) (3 km west of the city). Has flights from Milan
There are plenty of intercity trains from Timișoara as well as overnight services from Baia Mare, Bucharest, Constanța and Iași amongst others, all run by CFR Calatori. Also, the international nightly train from Vienna via Budapest to Bucharest calls in Arad. 1 Arad railway station (Gara Arad) is located just north of the city centre at Piața Gării 8-9.
Buses and trams run through the town with several stops. Taxis are available. There are also "Rent a car" companies, one having a commercial with contact details just across the street of the Train station.
- 1 Fortress of Arad (Cetatea Aradului).
- 2 Cultural Palace (Palatul Cultural).
- 3 Arad Museum Complex (Complexul Muzeal Arad). closed on Monday. Every Thursday there is a classic music concert performed by the fine Arad classic music orchestra.
- 4 St. Anthony of Padova Church (Biserica Sf. Anton de Padova).
- 5 The Orthodox Cathedral (Catedrala Ortodoxă).
- Parcul Reconcilierii. an area dedicated to the reconciliation between the Romanians and the Hungarians, it has two statuary complexes. Excellent for relaxing.
- Parcul Copiilor. situated along the shore of the Mures river, the Children's park offers an excellent way to recreate while having a nice promenade along the shore.
- Alexander, Calea Radnei, +40 257-279199, +40 788-431447. Board and lodging.
- Arad, B-dul Decebal Nr.9, +40 257-280894 , +40 257-214775.
- Ardealul, B-dul Revoluţiei nr. 98, +40 257-280840 , +40 257-280925
- Bibart 1 Panorama, Str. Digului nr.1A, +40 257-279398. Board and lodging.
- Lotus, ☎ . Str. Nicolae Ştefu nr.8.
- Mini Hotel Lipova **, Str. Lugojlui nr.50, +40 257-563021
- Mioriţa, Calea Radnei nr. 172/B, +40 257-368132, +40 745-326254. Board and lodging.
- Staţia Arad Vest , DN 7,+40 257-473276.
- West, Str.Petru Rareş nr.66, +40 257-234257, +40 744-577971.
- Central, Str. Horia nr.8, +40 257-256636
- Class , Str. Dr. I Raţiu nr. 27-29, +40 257-213153, +40 788-213153,
- Coandi, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Calea Romanilor nr. 47, Alongside of river Mureş
- Iris, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Str. Capitan Ignat, Nr. 1.
- Marem, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Calea Victoriei nr. 2C.
- Parc, B-dul General Dragalina nr. 25, +40 257-280820. Alongside the river Mureş.
- President, ☎ , . Calea Timisorii nr. 164.
- Vila Paradis, Str. Molidului Nr.2-5, +40 257-287377.
Subcetate, +40 257-281172.