Areguá is easily accessible by many paved roads and public bus lines. It contains many historic and natural attractions that make it a great weekend getaway. In August and September they hold a strawberry festival.
Take any bus line in Asunción going to "Shopping del Sol" - it will say so on the windscreen. Line 28 and 30 both go there from Cerro Corá road. Get off at Shopping del Sol and board any bus saying "Areguá" on the screen. Buses cost Gs.2,200. Get off after you see the ceramics stores on either side of the street (can't miss them). You are in the centre (and close to the Tourist office (Casona de SENATUR) on 515 Nstr. Señora de la Candelaria c/ Mcal. Estigarribia).
Some buses that pass to neighboring towns such as Ypacarai and Itaguá also pass through Areguá. Main bus lines that go through Areguá include No. 111 Aregueña, the No. 11 San Augustine, and the No. 56 Cerro Koi. Make sure to ask the bus driver if they go into the center of town (el centro), instead of the outlying rural areas (las companias).
Areguá is accessible from Ruta 2, going east outside of Asunción. When you get to the Colegio Militar Mcal. Francisco Solano Lopez outside of the centre of Capiatá, turn left at the stop light on km 27 marker, and follow the road called Ruta Areguá until you reach the town centre.
The town is pretty compact - best to go by foot. Distances are short. On one end (right, uphill from the centre) there's the church on the hill overlooking the town, on the other end is the beach and the lake.
- 1 Iglesia de La Candelaria (La Candelaria Church).
- 2 Colonial style houses throughout the town.
- 3 Casa Amarilla (Yellow House). Part art gallery, part antique store and part hostel. This was once part of Mariscal Lopez's Areguá estate. Eccentric and fascinating. Doesn't look like much from outside - don't be put off.
- 4 Cerro Koi (Cerro Coi). Daily 08:00-16:00. Exceptional rock formations from volcanic activity. It is said that the rock type on this hill can only be found in 2 other places in the world (South Africa and Canada), but also north of Dublin (Ireland) at the coast you will find similar rock formations created by volcanic activity. In addition, it has a good view of the town and lake Ypacaraí. Free.
Nowadays, the lake is polluted by factories, and swimming and eating fish here is not possible anymore. You can tell from the color of the lake's water that it is far from OK.
- 1 Areguá Beach (Balneario municipal). Swimming is not recommended, due to the pollution of the lake.
- The town is a nice and relaxing treat from the hectic Asunción, with beautiful colonial buildings.
- Garden gnome style ceramic figurines (from Snow White and Princess Fiona to Saints and Jesus) and pots for plants in all sizes can be bought on the street to Luque (Nstr. Señora de la Candelaria)
For the size of the town there are quite a few restaurants around. Hamburgesas can be bought in the evening at the main plaza. A few guys sell doughnuts near the petrol station in the centre.
- 1 Ariguá Restó Bar, Ruta Capiatá (100 m from Cerro Koi entrance), ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 09:00-00:00; Su 10:00-00:00; Mon closed. Snacks, drinks, lunch, dinner. Close to Cerro Koi. Moderate.
- 2 El Merendero, La Candelaria and Gabriel Casaccia (on the main street coming from Asunción, 200 m before reaching the main avenue), ☎ , . Daily 09:00-20:00. Snack bar and coffee shop. It has a craft and pottery shop running by a well known local artist.
The usual small bars blaring Latin music can be found around the place.
The motels on the road to Luque are likely to be hourly hotels. The options listed are on Estigarribia/Panchito López towards the lake which is passing by the train station.
- 1 Hostel América Latina, Panchito López 9001, ☎ , . Little but very friendly hostel and owner, centrally located in Areguá. Large supermarket, artesanal market, train station and lake in walking distance. Gs.40,000.
- 2 Pueblo Nomade. Has rooms and camping options available. A little overpriced, considering the "importance" of Areguá and state of the lake. Tent US$9, room US$11.
Mid-range to splurge
- 3 La Aparecida B&B Hotel, Avda. del Lago 852 (close to the lake and beach), ☎ . Double US$40; triple US$45.
- 4 OZLI Hotel y Restaurante (Next to the beach). Has also a restaurant and a pool.
Several interesting and picturesque sightseeing destination worth the trip lie in close distance from Areguá (by bus):
- The 5 (Old) Railway Station in Patiño
- The 6 Basilica of Caacupé
- The 7 Pastel church in Itauguá
- The 8 Laguna de Itá with crocodiles
- The 9 and 10 Cerro Yaguarón in Yaguarón
- and the 11 Ybycuí National Park a little further away.