Areni village is located south of Yerevan, in the region of Vayots Dzor.
Areni is a relatively small town but a big center for wine production in Armenia. There are several big wineries and numerous homemade wine producers here. Areni is also the name of the endemic grape variety Areni Noir. Nearby there is also Areni-1 Cave, which is the oldest known wine facility in the world equipped with wine presses, big storage jars, fermentation vessels, etc.
There are minibuses and taxis from Yerevan and the same applies when coming from the south direction.
You can walk around the village or ask locals for a taxi.
- 1 Areni Surb Astvatsatsin church (Areni Holy Mother of God Church). It's located on a small hill atop of the village so you can also get a view of the latter. The church dates to 14th century and is considered to be built by Master Momik.
- 2 Areni-1 Cave. World's oldest known winery equipped with wine presses, big storage jars, fermentation vessels, etc 1000 dram.
- 3 Noravank Monastery
- 1 Participate in clay working classes at Arhestanots, ☏ . Arpine is the owner and teacher. She has regular kids groups but also special classes for tourists. Kids will be especially fond of this place. By the way, her studio used to be a church before the Soviet era.
- Take vineyard tours and cooking classes at Ar Areni. This place can show you the full cycle of winemaking from their vineyard to wine cellar as well as how to use vine branches and leaves in cooking.
- Areni Wine Festival. Each October in Areni takes place one of the most famous festivals in Armenia - Areni Wine Festival. There is a lot of wine, food, dances, traditions related to winemaking, etc. Definitely not to miss if you are in the area!
- Homemade wines.
- Fresh fruits at the roadside.
- 1 Areni Winery. Areni Winery is one of the biggest, industry scale wineries located in Areni, right off the main road from Yerevan.
- 2 Hin Areni Winery (Old Areni Winery). This winery is a level up from Areni Winery, and is located right next to it.
- 3 Momik Wine Cube (Momik Winery), ☏ , email@example.com. This is a small family-owned vineyard and winery. The set up a cozy tasting place called Wine Cube where they serve wines and food. The wife is also a professional stone-carver and can teach you a few tricks.
There are a few guesthouses in the village and a new big Tufenkian Hotel is under construction.