The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is the most densely populated area of Arlington, Virginia.
The dense Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is a series of five "urban villages" following Wilson and Clarendon Boulevards west from Rosslyn, just across the Potomac from Georgetown. This area has seen massive redevelopment since the 1980s. While Rosslyn is largely offices and hotels, and depopulated at night, the pricey high-rises and group houses to the west are home to the largest concentration of restaurants, bars, and entertainment in Arlington— and to the young professionals who patronize them. The corridor is literally a textbook case of transit-oriented development, with the thriving neighborhoods of Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston clustered around their eponymous Orange/Silver Line Metrorail stations. At the center is the shopping and restaurant district of Clarendon, which was Arlington's "downtown" until the 1960s.
The five stops of the combined Metro Orange/Silver Line is the spine of the corridor, providing transit to downtown Washington, D.C. to the west, and Tysons, Reston, Falls Church, and Fairfax County to the east. The Rosslyn station is additionall served by the Blue Line, which provides access from Crystal City and Alexandria.
- 1 Theodore Roosevelt Island, George Washington Memorial Parkway N, ☎ . Daily 6AM-10PM. A lovely nature walk though this small national park gives one glimpses of both the area's natural woods and the Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) waterfront. Also includes a surprising monument to President Roosevelt himself. Technically a part of Washington, D.C., the island is only accessible by a footbridge from Arlington. Free.
- 1 [dead link]Ice Skating @ Kettler Capitals Iceplex (Level 8 above the Ballston Common Mall (take the main parking garage elevators). Metro: Ballston). Year-round ice skating rink built for the Washington Capitals professional hockey team. Public skating is offered every day; check the web site for schedules. Children's and youth lessons are also available. Adult admission: $7; Skate rental: $3.
- 1 Ballston Common, 4238 Wilson Blvd (Connected via skyway to the Ballston Metro). Better known for its two indoor skating rinks, cheap parking, and multiplex cinema than its mediocre shops, Ballston Common is slated to undergo a major redevelopment as the neighborhood around it continues to boom.
- 2 Market Common Clarendon, 2800 Clarendon Blvd. (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . This outdoor shopping plaza includes an Apple Store, Barnes & Noble, and Crate & Barrel among others, and is just down the block from a variety of specialty retailers and neighborhood restaurants.
- 3 Arlington Farmers Market (Courthouse Farmers Market), N. Courthouse Road and N. 14th St. (Adjacent to the Arlington County Courthouse parking lot. Metro: Court House), ☎ , fax: . Sa 8AM–noon (Apr–Dec); Sa 9AM–12noon (Jan–Mar). Arlington's largest farmers market, with about three dozen vendors, and the only one that operates year-round.
- Ben's Chili Bowl, 1725 Wilson Blvd, Arlington (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . Daily 11AM to 11PM. The Washington DC landmark that opened in DC in 1958 and well known for its hot dogs and half smokes that has been visited by numerous presidents and celebrities now has a location open in Arlington.
- China Garden, 1100 Wilson Blvd (In a North Arlington office building, just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown. Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-9PM. The Chinese have fled the District, mostly to Virginia, and there are honestly no good dim sum places in the city itself. But this restaurant serves a perfectly fine dim sum. $8-20.
- Delhi Club, 1135 N Highland St (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . Su-F 11:30AM-10PM, Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM. In North Arlington. Stylish, modern Indian plates with a specialty in lamb and egglplant. If you would like something different, try the Indian take on the Chesapeake crabcake. $15-27.
- [dead link]Guajillo Grill, 1727 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . In North Arlington. Mexican food, including some great mole. The food is always fresh and wonderful. The place is difficult to spot and parking can be a problem.
- Me Jana, 2300 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Court House), ☎ . Lunch: 11:30AM-2:30PM daily; dinner: Su-Th 4:30PM-10PM, F-Sa 4:30PM-10:30PM. Upscale Lebanese cuisine (mostly mezzes) in a trendy, casual dining room, and accompanied with a fine selection of Lebanese wines. $18-40.
- Piola Pizzeria, 1550 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn.), ☎ . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F 11AM-1AM, Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-11PM. Based in Treviso, Italy, this small but international chain serves great, vaguely Neopolitan style pizzas. Later at night it morphs into an attractive lounge playing house and trance. Happy hour (M-F 4:30PM-8PM) sees free bar snacks and $4 sangria. $10-16.
- Pho 75, 1721 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . 9AM-8PM daily. For a really good bowl of Vietnamese pho, you need to head out to the suburbs where the Vietnamese actually live. Happily, one of the closest pho joints to the city is also one of the best—several local food critics have declared the best. $5-10.
- Quarterdeck, 1200 Fort Meyer Dr, ☎ . 11:30AM-9PM daily. For a great Maryland-style crab feast by D.C. you should go to... Virginia! Paper on the tables, buckets full of crabs, pitchers of beer, and an elbow-deep mess of Old Bay seasoning. $6-25; crab feast: $35/person.
- Rays the Steaks, 2300 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Court House), ☎ . One of the DC area's best steak houses, this no-frills steak house offers some of the best steaks at a reasonable price in the DC area. The restaurant has moved from its original location and now takes reservations. Parking can be a problem at times.
- Taste of Morocco, 3211 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . Lunch: Tu-F 11:30AM-2:30PM; dinner: Su-Th 5PM-10PM, F-Sa 5PM-10:30PM. A great Moroccan restaurant with lovely ambiance (precisely the sort you'd want of a Moroccan restaurant), great service, and one mean Chicken Bastilla, a sweet pastry filled with savory, spiced chicken. $14-30.
- Teds Montana Grill, 4300 Wilson Blvd (At Wilson and Glebe behind the Ballston Commons Mall. Metro: Ballston), ☎ . 11AM-10PM. Teds is a classic American restaurant serving authentic American cuisine in the style of a 1890s eatery. Featuring bison and beef steaks and especially burgers it offers a made from scratch experience unmatched in Arlington.
- Willow, 4301 North Fairfax Dr (Metro: Ballston), ☎ . Weekdays 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5:30PM-10PM; Sa 5PM-5:30PM, 6PM-10:30PM. American food. Great experience, great food, great atmosphere
- Carpool, 4000 Fairfax Drive (2 blocks from Ballston Metro), ☎ . Popular billiards room, bar, restaurant and meeting point with a gas filling-station theme.
- Clarendon Ballroom, 3185 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . Known for its large dance floor and (seasonal) rooftop deck.
- The Continental, 1911 Fort Meyer Dr (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . M-F 11:30AM-2AM, Sa-Su 6PM-2AM. A weird little 60s-looking, orange-colored pool hall and bar just across the Key Bridge. If the small bar and pool tables are crowded, they also have shuffleboard, darts, and Nintendo Wii!
- Galaxy Hut, 2711 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . 5PM-2AM daily. Northern Virginia's hipster refuge has a fun jukebox, a fantastic draft beer selection, and perhaps the most laid back atmosphere on the Wilson Blvd corridor (it predates the Clarendon yuppie boom). Live indie rock Su-M.
- [dead link]Guarapo, 1501 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Court House), ☎ . M-Th 5PM-10:30PM, F-Sa 5PM-11:30PM; lounge: Th-Sa 9PM-1:30AM. A Latin lounge with salsa dancing, live music Th-Sa, hookahs, and "Latin tapas."
- Heavy Seas Alehouse, 2403 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . Su-Th 11AM-12:00AM, F-Sa 11AM-2:00AM. Arlington branch of the popular Baltimore brewpub, offering house-brewed beers as well as a menu focusing on locally caught seafood.
- Iota Club, 2832 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . 5PM-2AM daily. It's arguably a dive bar, but more importantly one of the best live music venues in the area for roots-rock and country acts.
- Jay's Saloon & Grille, 3114 N 10th St (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . Su-Th 11AM-midnight, F-Sa noon-2AM. This is a true, old-school, neighborhood bar that has not been overrun with the twenty-somethings, with really cheap beer—$2 Buds and Miller Lites any time of the week.
- Oby Lee, 3000 N Washington Blvd (Metro: Clarendon), ☎ . Su 9AM-9PM; Mo CLOSED; Tu-Th 8AM-10PM; Fr 8AM-11PM; Sa 9AM-11PM. For your morning coffee, afternoon tea, evening wine, and anytime crepes.
- Rock Bottom Brewery, 4238 Wilson Blvd. ste 1256 (in the Ballston Common Mall), ☎ . Wednesday night is dollar pint night for some mighty fine in-house brews...expect crowds.
- Whitlows On Wilson, 2854 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Clarendon). Casual neighborhood bar offering great specials during the week and a popular brunch on the weekends.
- Best Western Rosslyn/Iwo Jima, 1501 Arlington Blvd (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ . For once, a hotel with an attraction in the name isn't lying to you—it really is just about a block from the Iwo Jima Memorial. That does place it a little out of the way, but it's not a long walk to the Rosslyn station. Newly-renovated, heated indoor pool, free WiFi, meeting rooms. $100-190.
- Clarion Collection Arlington Court, 1200 N Courthouse Rd (Metro:Court House), ☎ . A high-end Clarion near the Arlington County courthouse, with free WiFi, free breakfast buffet, and 24 hour fitness center. Offers a free one-mile shuttle; it's a shame that anything interesting is at least two miles away. $130-300.
- Courtyard Arlington Rosslyn, 1533 Clarendon Boulevard, ☎ . complimentary shuttle service to the DC metro.
- Highlander Motel, 3336 Wilson Blvd (Metro: Virginia Square/GMU), ☎ . family-owned 44 unit motel.
- Hilton Arlington (directly atop the Ballston Metro). Mostly oriented towards business travels; it offers substantial discounts over weekends and holidays.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 1333 North Courthouse Rd (Metro: Court House), ☎ . Adjacent to the Court House Plaza restaurants and nightlife $120-260.
- Holiday Inn Arlington @ Ballston, 4610 N. Fairfax Dr (Metro: Ballston), ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, 1900 N Fort Myer Drive (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ .
- Hyatt Arlington, 1325 Wilson Boulevard. Arlington, VA 22209 (Metro: Rosslyn). Newly renovated; walking distance to local businesses and Georgetown.
- Key Bridge Marriott, 1401 Lee Highway (Metro: Rosslyn), ☎ , fax: . Offers river and city views with renovated meeting facilities.
- Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, 1651 N Oak St, ☎ . An all-suite hotel with free WiFi, free hot breakfast, free evening buffets M-W, and a dessert buffet Th. $110-270.
- Westin Arlington Gateway, 801 North Glebe Road (Metro: Ballston), ☎ .