The southwestern reaches of Arlington, while a bit off the beaten track, is a diverse and up-and coming area. This article covers the area between of Arlington Boulevard and I-395.
The Columbia Pike corridor, centered on Columbia Pike east of Glebe Road, is an up-and-coming district, with a number of new high-rise developments, restaurants, and bars recently joining the landmark Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse. The Pike is served by frequent Metrobuses connecting it to the Pentagon Metro.
Shirlington is a mixed use development with a variety of restaurants as well as art and event space, and of course shopping, accessed mainly via I-395 (the Shirley Highway).
Southwest Arlington is not served by any Metro rail lines, but has dense bus service, especially along Columbia Pike.
- 1 Carlin Hall. A historic community center built in 1892
- 2 Barcroft Community House. A historic community center built in 1908
- 3 Cathedral of Saint Thomas More. Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington
- 4 Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington. The first Unitarian church in Washington, D.C.'s suburbs. The current building is a 1964 concrete Brutalist structure listed on the National Register
- 5 Lomax African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. A historic African Methodist Episcopal Zion church listed on the National Register
- 1 Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse, 2903 Columbia Pike (Columbia Pike at Walter Reed Drive), ☎ . A unique combination of a full restaurant located inside a movie theater. Also offers live comedy shows and large-screen viewings of major sports events. Over 22 years old, the “Drafthouse” replaced the Arlington Theater or “Old Arlington” as it was affectionately known in 1985. The building itself is over 65 years old.
- 2 Four Mile Run Trail. Four Mile Run is a creek that flows through this part of Arlington in a small but steep valley. A nice walk or run down the trail is a good break from the urban setting surrounding it.
- 3 Signature Theatre. A professional regional theater known for its productions of musicals and new plays
- 4 Barcroft Park. Home of George Washington University's Colonials baseball team
- 5 Ocean Dunes Waterpark.
- 1 The Village at Shirlington, 4280 Campbell Ave. (I-395 to Shirlington/S. Arlington Mill Drive exit.). A mixed-use town center with a selection of specialty retailers and restaurants, as well as the Signature Theatre and an art-house cinema.
- Best Western Pentagon (Arlington, VA Hotel), 2480 S Glebe Road, Arlington, Virginia 22206, ☎ .
- Days Inn Arlington, 2201 Arlington Blvd, ☎ .