Formerly Port of Leopoldina, it was founded in 1850 and until 1958 was the main port of supply for the City of Goiás, the state capital at the time. It was renamed the Aruanã because of the strong presence of a fish that has the same name, that also means a Karaja tribe dance; the Karajas have a very old village just beside the banks of the Araguaia.
The tourism at Aruana not only consists of scenic beauties, but the set of attractions, infrastructure, services and visitors. There's also the diversity of the fish fauna, that makes Araguaia River and other rivers belonging to the Amazon Basin ideal for the practice of fishing and ecotourism, segments that are growing significantly throughout Brazil.
The city has its own airport.
The city is served by highways GO-530, GO-070 and GO-060.
- from Brasilia, exit through Via Estrutural, the direction of Aguas Lindas and Pirenópolis; take the BR 070 all the way until Goiás City, then turn right onto the GO 164. Total distance is 435 km.
- from Goiânia, take the GO-070 until Itaberaí, BR-070 until Goiás, GO-164 until Faina, and finally the GO-530. In total, 310 km.
- Karajá Village, right outside town, by the river. A small indigenous community.
- Nossa Senhora da Conceição Leopoldina Church, Couto Magalhães square. Built in 1886.
- Municipal Museum. Highlight is the remains of the steamship Couto Magalhães.
- Private Reserve of Natural Heritage Boca da Mata. Conservation area of cerrado, established in 1998, with 1058.19 ha. -
- Red River (Rio Vermelho). Tributary of the right bank of the Araguaia River (180 km long), born in the Golden Sierra, 17 km from the city of Goiás, flowing into the Araguaia at Aruana.
- enjoy the Araguaia River, abundant fishing and leisure in its beautiful beaches that attract hundreds of tourists in time of season (July to September). The main scaly species are pacu caranha, matrinxã, pirarucu, piau, pacu, sardinha, corvina and traíra. Among the leathery fish are filhote, cachara, barbado, pirarara, jaú, mandubé, surubim chicote, bico de pato (duckbill) and mandi.
- January- Holy Kings Feast
- February- Carnaval
- June-June Festivals (festas juninas)
- July-Rafting Competition
- August-Feasts of the Holy Spirit, St. Sebastian and Our Lady of the Rosary
- September-Cowboy Festival of Aranuã / 07 - Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary
- December-City Anniversary
- Local crafts - much influenced by Karajá culture, amazing variety in the use of raw materials (wood, coconut, straw, clay, etc.)., Weaving and flower arrangements.
- Farol do Cais, Praça Couto Magalhães, ☏ .
- Restaurante e Pizzaria Tradicional, Rua Sebastião dos Santos Q.02 L.18, ☏ .
- Pousada Grande Rio, Setor de Mansões Vale do Araguaia, ☏ , . 15 cottages, each with 2 rooms, for up to 05 persons; 05 have air-con. Bar, breakfast, swimming pools, 700 m from the Araguaia.
- SESI Aruanã, Avenida Altamiro Caio Pacheco, s/n -Setor Expansão, ☏ , . Apts Luxo, all have AirCon, TV and Frigobar, 3 Pools, Toboágua, Games Room, Polysports Court, Playground, TV room, meeting hall, Camping site with 50 tent spots, Restaurant serving typical Goiana food.
- Pousada Aquarius, Rua José Joaquim Santana - Quadra 16 - Lote 5A - Centro, ☏ , . Located at City Center, simple service, 18 rooms, kitchen and good leisure area. entre R$ 80 e R$ 120 para casal.
- Hotel Araguaia - Centro - +55 62 3376-1251
- Hotel Lago das Cangas - Centro - +55 62 3376-1627
- Hotel Recanto Sonhado - Centro - +55 62 3376-1407
- Pousada Portal do Araguaia - Nova Aruanã - +55 62 3376-1317
- Pousada do Sol (Camping, Pousada e Restaurante) - Chac. Estrada do Sol - +55 62 3376-1838
- Pousada Bonsucesso - +55 62 3376-1149
- Pousada Cristalino - +55 62 3376-1231
- Pousada do Frazão - +55 62 3278-4764
- Pousada dos Pescadores - +55 62 3376-1769
- Pousada Estrada do Sol - Rua Sebastião Rosário, nº40 - +55 62 3376-1338
- Pousada Encontro dos Rios - +55 62 3376-1930 / 8423-3777
- Pousada Farol do Cais - +55 62 3376-1121
- Pousada Grande Rio -Avenida Javaés, Qd 4 Lt 1 - +55 62 3376-1469 e (61) 9984-7161.
- Pousada Imperial - +55 62 3302-9077
- Pousada Piracema- Av. São Felix n.123 Qd.12 Lt.06 Centro - +55 62 3376-1204
- Pousada Recanto do Araguaia - +55 62 3954-6408
- Pousada Rio das Araras - +55 62 3376-1764
- Pousada Santa Edwirges - +55 62 3376-1382
- Pousada Sândalo - Av. Altamiro Caio Pacheco Q.20 Lt. 06 Centro. - +55 62 3376-1597
- Pousada Toca da Onça - +55 62 3376-1406
- Pousada Yanomani - +55 62 3376-1646
- Remos Hotel - +55 62 3376-1024
- Cantinho das Tartarugas - setor Encontro dos Rios - +55 62 3376-1554
- Condominio e Pousada Kamayura - setor Expansão - +55 62 3376-1069
For camping, the environmental agencies require the campers compliance with the rules of coexistence with the Rio Araguaia. Some of them: do not use wood native to the region, no hunting, no fishing without license from environmental agencies, no fireworks, dig your toilet at least 30 meters away from the riverbank, do not using cans inside, and take all the trash produced the camp back to the city.
- Post Office: Av. Sebastião Jerônimo Santos, 35.