Ashburn is a suburb of Washington, DC, in Loudoun County, Virginia. It 2010, it was home to about 44,000 people. The homes in Ashburn are nearly all new, large, uniform in character, and have little or any recognizable architectural style.
In many ways Ashburn is the poster child for the so called "McMansionization of America". Brambleton, a planned urban development in Ashburn, is one of the fastest selling developments in the country.
Ashburn is home to many high-tech businesses. World Trade Center Dulles Airport is the second World Trade Center in the state. Verizon Business has a major office in Ashburn at the location. Ashburn is also home to government contractor Telos, and Amazon Web Services’s us-east-1 region of cloud computing resources.
The George Washington University's Virginia Science and Technology Campus and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Research Campus are located in Ashburn. Redskins Park, the training camp for the Washington (formerly "Redskins") football team of the National Football League, is also located in Ashburn. The Wikimedia Foundation (parent of Wikivoyage) has its primary data center in Ashburn.
Ashburn was founded as Farmwell (variant names include Old Farmwell and Farmwell Station) after a nearby mansion of that name owned by George Lee III. The name "Farmwell" first appeared in George Lee's October 1802 will and was used to describe the 1,236-acre (500 ha) plantation he inherited from his father, Thomas Ludwell Lee II. A section of Farmwell plantation west of Ashburn Road, a 580-acre (230 ha) tract, was purchased in 1841 as a summer home by John Janney, a Quaker lawyer who nearly became Vice President of the United States. Janney called the property Ashburn Farm; the name's first known appearance in writing is 1870 when he sold the property. It is likely he named the farm after family friends whose name was "Ashburn".
Ashburn is served by 2 major airports in the Washington DC metro area. Washington Dulles (IAD IATA) is about 5 miles from Ashburn and Reagan National (DCA IATA) is about 25 miles. Most people who are visiting Ashburn from far away distances are better off flying into Washington Dulles International Airport. The easiest and most convenient way to get to Ashburn from the airport is via taxi. Washington Flyer Taxi has exclusive rights to service IAD and a taxi ride from airport will cost you anywhere between $15-20.
Coming by car, Ashburn is intersected by a few major roads in the Northern Virginia area. Accessible via the Dulles Greenway (toll road), Route 7, or Route 28, travelers have a few options when driving to this city.
- Wiehle Express operates service between the George Washington University Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn and the Wiehle-Reston East metro station. The bus costs $2 for the general public.
- Commuter buses operate service to/from Washington DC.
- Virginia Regional Transit's 7 on 7 operates service to/from Leesburg.
Washington Metro's Silver Line to Dulles International Airport and to two Ashburn stops is expected to open in April 2021 (as of Feb 2020).
Although there are taxis available, those visiting Ashburn will need a car. The neighborhoods and shopping are too spread out to go any other way.
The Belmont Manor House and Janelia are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Contrary to popular opinion, Ashburn has its fair share of local artisans which showcase their craft in the form of art, jewelry, and clothes.
- Asian Spice Cafe, Brambleton Towncenter. Specializes in Chinese food and sushi. Moderately priced. Serves alcohol. $7-15.
- 1 Buffalo Wing Factory, 43761 Parkhurst Plaza #100, ☏ . Best wings in the city. The 911's will knock you out. Bargain prices and always hopping with teenagers and the big game on the big screen. Perfect for families, friends, a late night snack or a place to park and watch the game. $5-10.
- 2 [dead link] Frankiberri Premium Frozen Yogurt, The Shops at Moorefields Village, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Noon-9PM. $10.
- 3 Opa! Mezze Grill, 44110 Ashburn Shopping Plaza, ☏ . Specializes in authentic Greek cuisine. The gyros and souvlaki are delicious. $15-24.
- Lost Rhino Brewing Company, 21730 Red Rum Dr #142, ☏ . Craft beers brewed on site.
- Aloft Dulles Airport North, 22390 Flagstaff Plaza, ☏ . Complimentary WiFi access, free shuttle service to and from Dulles International Airport.
- Embassy Suites Dulles - North/Loudoun, 44610 Waxpool Road, ☏ . Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and evening reception.
- Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, 22400 Flagstaff Plaza, ☏ . Complimentary WiFi, parking and shuttle to Dulles airport and businesses.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Dulles-North/Loudoun, 44620 Waxpool Road, ☏ . Extended stay hotel. Complimentary hot full breakfast each morning and evening dinner and drinks Monday through Thursday.
- SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North, 20065 Lakeview Center Plaza, ☏ .
|Routes through Ashburn|
|Winchester ← Leesburg ←||W E||→ Sterling → Alexandria|
|END ← Leesburg ←||W E||→ Sterling → Falls Church|