Athens is a city of 27,000 people (2016) in northern Alabama, USA about 15 miles south of the Tennessee border and 20 miles west of Huntsville. It is the county seat of Limestone county. The city’s proximity to transportation, recreational facilities, and educational centers make it a vibrant spot today. The rich soil has provided for a strong agricultural base, and for recreational opportunities. The Swan Creek Greenway offers hiking, a covered bridge, and access to an archery course.
Athens used to be a small village that grew steadily to cover most of Limestone County.
- Athens is mainly accessible by Interstate 65 with exits 351 and 354.
- Athens is also accessible by Highways 72 and 31 directly into the city.
- Car is the easiest mode of transportation. US 31 will run north and south (eventually turning into I-65 N), and US 72 will run east and west.
As of early 2016 there was a misspelled Vietnam War memorial downtown spelt Vientam.
- 1 Russel Stover, 1699 US Highway 72 East (From I-65 take exit 351, turn east, pass the traffic signal with Kelli Dr. Russel Stover is the third building on the left.), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-7PM, Su 11Am-6PM. A chocolate manufactury and shop location for Russel Stover.
- Historic Downtown Athens. Places like Donnel House and many historic areas.
1 Kiddie Carnival, 309 Forrest Street East. Summer, June 28-August 4 on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights, 6:30-9:30PM. Put on by the local Lion's Club, it's a regional favorite. The Kiddie Carnival has great rides for kids along with great concessions and bingo. Concessions are very reasonably priced and each ride is just one ticket. Tickets: $0.50 each, 1 ticket per ride.
The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives, 100 Pryor Street West ☏ in the old L&N Freight Depot. The hours are Monday-Saturday from 9AM - 3PM. The museum holds artifacts that honors the men and women from the Civil War to the present who fought in wars.
- Mom and Pap Restaurants Downtown. A few pizza and sandwich shops downtown
- 1 Best Western, 1329 US Highway 72 East (from I-65, take Athens exit 351, turn west, turn right into Athens-Limestone BLVD, first building on right), ☏ .
- Huntsville is 30 minutes west, with shopping centers, mountains, and a variety of places to eat.
- Decatur is just south on I-65 with large industrial plants and many locally owned businesses.
- Elkmont is north on I-65 with the attraction of Belle Cheve Cheese.
- Ardmore is north on I-65 with Dog Days Flea Market.
- Florence and the Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Area are to the west on Highway 72 with nature areas, locally owned businesses and chain stores.
- There are Tennessee River destinations in the area like Athens, Florence, Decatur, and Huntsville.
- Birmingham and Nashville are in their corresponding directions on I-65.
|Routes through Athens|
|Nashville ← Elkmont ←||N S||→ Decatur → Birmingham|
|Corinth ← Florence ←||W E||→ Madison → Huntsville|