Athens used to be a small village that grew steadily into covering most of Limestone County.
- Athens is mainly accessible by Interstate 65 with exits 351 and 354.
- Athens is also accessible by Highways 72 and 31 directly into the city.
- Car is the easiest mode of transportation. US 31 will run north and south (eventually turning into I-65 N), and US 72 will run east and west.
As of early 2016 there was a misspelled Vietnam War memorial downtown spelt Vientam.
- 1 Russel Stover, 1699 US Highway 72 East (From I-65 take exit 351, turn east, pass the traffic signal with Kelli DR. Russel Stover is the third building on the left.), ☏ . Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.. A chocolate manufactury and shop location for Russel Stover.
- Historic Downtown Athens. Places like Donnel House and many historic areas.
- Athens Renaissance School (Athens Renaissance Academy), 405 S E, Athens-Limestone Dr. In the Athens City Schools System, Athens Renaissance School is something that cannot be found in any other location in the local area, a K-12 blended learning school, unlike the normal classroom setting.
1 Kiddie Carnival, 309 Forrest Street East. Summer, June 28-August 4 on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights, 6:30pm-9:30pm. Put on by the local Lion's Club, it's a regional favorite. The Kiddie Carnival has great rides for kids along with great concessions and bingo. Concessions are very reasonably priced and each ride is just one ticket. Tickets: $0.50 each, 1 ticket per ride.
The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives is located at 100 Pryor Street West (+1 256 771-7579) in the old L&N Freight Depot. The hours are Monday-Saturday from 9AM - 3PM. The museum holds artifacts that honors the brave men and women from the Civil War to the present who fought and died to keep our land free. More information can be found here.
- Athens-Limestone Flea Market (Just east of the city limits on Highway 72). A beautiful and large indoor flea market with Suggs Rugs, and multiple different public seller sections.
- Multiple Fast Food Restaurants (Most of them in the city.). Places like Burger King and Wendy's in Athens.
- Mom and Pap Restaurants Downtown. A few pizza and sandwich shops downtown
- 1 Best Western, 1329 US Highway 72 East (From I-65, take Athens exit 351. Turn west. Turn right into Athens-Limestone BLVD, first building on right.), ☏ . A best western branch.
- Huntsville is 30 minutes west, with shopping centers, mountains, and a variety of places to eat.
- Decatur is just South on I-65 with large industrial plants and many locally owned businesses.
- Elkmont is North on I-65 with the attraction of Belle Cheve Cheese.
- Ardmore is North on I-65 with Dog Days Flea Market.
- Florence and the Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Area are to the West on Highway 72 with nature areas, locally owned businesses and chain stores.
- There are Tennessee River destinations in the area like Athens itself, Florence, Decatur, and even Huntsville.
- Birmingham and Nashville are in their corresponding directions on I-65.
|Routes through Athens|
|Nashville ← Elkmont ←||N S||→ Decatur → Birmingham|
|Corinth ← Florence ←||W E||→ Madison → Huntsville|