Ayacucho is a city in the centre east of Buenos Aires Province, in the Pampas, to the north east of the Tandilia hills. It sits on the banks of the Tandileofu Stream. It is the most important producer of calves of the region, that’s the reason why it's called “La capital del ternero”.
Ayacucho was founded in 1866, and it takes its name from the battle of Ayacucho (December 9,1824) in Peru. It was the last battle to maintain South America independence. It had about 17,000 inhabitants in 2010.
The touristic alternatives are based on the tradition of the Argentinian country, and it has its maximum expression at the “Fiesta Nacional del Ternero y de la Yerra”, a popular event which takes place during seven days, and attracts thousands of visitors. They can see countrymen doing equestrian activities of skill, and also traditional parades. The most important folklore artists are presented, and people can also enjoy the traditional “asados” along the city streets.
By bus: Via TAC is the bus company that connects the city with Buenos Aires (305 km), Tandil (67 km), Mar del Plata (160 km), and La Plata (285 km).
By car: Provincial Routes Nª 29, 50, 74 and National Route N ª2.
Although the city centre can be easily covered on foot, there are some radio taxi companies to hire a car.
- Remis Ayacucho ☏
- Remis La Teminal ☏
- Plaza San Martin, downtown, is the main city square.
- Plaza Colon, is very interesting for the variety of trees. It was designed by the great landscape designer Carlos Thays.
- Chacra Municipal Juan Manuel de Rosas is a 42-ha farm, where the mainl activities take place during the popular celebrations. At the corner of Av. Libertad and Gato y Mancha.
- Museo Historico Regional, an excellent trip to the history and culture of the town, at Peron Avenue 145. It’s open M-Sa 07:00-13:00, Su 15:00-17:00.
- The Tourist Office is at the Bus Terminal, at the corner of Av.Solanet and Av. Dindart.
Rural Tourism: Estancia San Jose, rural activities, gastronomy. 24 km from Ayacucho. ☏
- La Tapera, polo and ride lessons. ☏ .
- Platería y joyería Rosatto. Saenz Peña 1178. Wide selection of pieces of silversmith.
- El Aljibe: Av. Solanet and Colon. 900 m from Plaza San Martin. Very good service and convenient prices.
- Kiwi: Irigoyen 960. Pizzas.
- La Buen Gusto: Irigoyen and 25 de mayo.
- Plaza Hotel [dead link] 9 de Julio 970. (100 m from plaza San Martin)
- Palace Hotel: Alem 872. firstname.lastname@example.org (100 m from plaza San Martin)
Early booking is essential if you wish to visit the city during “la Fiesta del Ternero”.
The city of Tandil is 68 km from Ayacucho.
Mar del Plata is 160 km from Ayacucho.