Bacău is a city in eastern Romania.
|Antalya||Turkey||AYT||LTAI||Antalya Airport ||Seasonal charter: Blue Air|
|Bologna||Italy||BLQ||LIPE||Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport ||Blue Air|
|Brussels||Belgium||BRU||EBBR||Brussels Airport ||Blue Air|
|Dublin||Ireland||DUB||EIDW||Dublin Airport ||Seasonal: Blue Air|
|London||United Kingdom||LTN||EGGW||London Luton Airport ||Blue Air|
|Milan||Italy||BGY||LIME||Bergamo-Il Caravaggio International Airport ||Blue Air|
|Paris||France||BVA||LFOB||Beauvais-Tillé Airport ||Blue Air|
|Rome||Italy||FCO||LIRF||Fiumicino-Leonardo da Vinci International Airport ||Blue Air|
|Turin||Italy||CUF||LIMZ||Cuneo International Airport ||Blue Air|
A train ticket from Bucharest to Bacău costs around €15 when using the most expensive and luxurious option, the Inter-City train.
Romanian National Rail Transportation runs the connections between Bacău and other cities.
The main roads to Bacău have been repaired and are in very good condition (E85, or DN2, is the best-maintained road in Romania, but also the road with the largest number of car accidents).
Reaching Bacău from Bucharest involves travelling 290 km on E85 - expressway, which takes 3–4 hours by car (5-6 during the winter). When exiting Bucharest, the best route is via Colentina Boulevard. It is the exit towards Urziceni, Buzău, Focșani, Iasi and Suceava.
There are two basic ways of getting around the city: personal vehicle and public transport-which comprises mostly of buses.
The linear structure of the city makes it virtually impossible to get lost, and the local transport fast and reliable. A normal one-way ticket will cost you around 1.7 lei. The main bus lines are: 3, 17, 18 and 22, of which only the 22 has a different route: from the south entrance in the city (from Bucharest) where all the hypermarkets are towards Arena Mall. The rest have the same starting point, but go towards the train station (following various - yet close - routes).
The city's main roads are in excellent state, but there is a noticeable lack of parking spaces. Parking is free almost anywhere in the city. The town has a length of about 20 km (north-to-south), but this distance is littered with traffic lights. There is an alternative route - make a left turn just before Narcisa Bridge (about 4 km from the Metro hypermarket, coming in from the south. The road will lead you around the city (with a beautiful view of it) to the road to Transylvania (left turn about half the way, or left where the road ends into a Y intersection) - through the outskirts. If you want to go to Roman or further on to Suceava or Iași, you have to go through the city centre, and over Șerbănești Bridge over the Bistrița River.
- Bacovia Theater - one of the few remaining historical buildings in Bacau (1929)
- The Bacău Prefecture - opened 1890
- Precista Church - opened in 1491. More info can be found here: http://www.bacau.djc.ro/ObiectiveDetalii.aspx?ID=23&lacas=true [dead link]
- 1 George Bacovia Memorial House, Str. George Bacovia nr. 13, ☎ . 8AM - 4PM; Sat, Sun closed. The memorial house of the famous Symbolist poet George Bacovia. The collection is comprised of about 400 hundred objects like manuscripts, original editions of his poem volumes, photographies, furniture.
- 2 Iulian Antonescu Museum, Str. 9 Mai, nr. 7, ☎ . 9AM - 5PM; Mon closed.
- Arena Mall. Str. Stefan cel Mare, nr. 28. The largest mall in the Moldova region is in Bacau.
- Latin Unirii Bd., Nr. 2, Tel.: +40 234 510300. A good selection of Chinese, traditional Romanian, Spanish, French and Austrian food.
- Amarante [dead link] Str. Spiru Haret, Nr.8, Tel.: +40 234 511829. A large selection of Italian food and a few French dishes. Fairly high prices, but quality food. They serve very good pizza.
- La Michele Str. Mihail Kogalniceanu, Nr.12, Tel.: +40 234 552222. The menu contains Italian and Romanian food. They serve good pizza, with smaller prices than the rest of the menu.
- Hotel President, 4 stars, 24 double rooms, 4 single rooms, 4 apartments,Tel: +40 234 588000, Hotel President
- Hotel Helen, 4 stars, 38 rooms, Tel: +40 372 344000, located on DN11 (E574), near Magura
- Hotel Decebal, 3 stars, almost 100 rooms,Tel: +40 234 570020, Hotel Decebal
- Hotel Scorillo, 3 stars, 10 rooms, Tel: +40 334 103631, Hotel Scorillo
- Hotel Dumbrava, 2 stars, 50 rooms, Tel: +40 234 513302, Hotel Dumbrava