From other places on Ometepe you can take a taxi or bus to Balgue.
The town of Balgue is small and can easily be walked in a few minutes. However, a system of footpaths connect Balgue with all the neighboring villages and farms. A day can be spend wandering the fields and paths, a hearty "buenas" usually enough to lead to adventures.
Climb Maderas Volcano, take in the sights from atop the muddy mountain, and then wander in the petroglyphs laden fields around Finca Magdalena.
- Project Bona Fide. A well known center for permaculture (Permanent Culture) education and community development, as an approach to designing communities and agricultural systems that mimic the relationships found in the natural ecologies. The main goals are to reduce reliance on industrial systems of production and distribution, minimizing waste and the demand for human labor or energy, produce a high density of food and materials with minimal input, etc. Also offers volunteer and community work.
- Tours Project Bona Fide offers 2 to 3 hour guided tour where you learn about soil management, waste water management, energy efficiency, our use of solar & wind power, inter-planting, agro-forestry, layering methods, water catchment systems, how to discourage ravenous insects and how to support wider varieties of birds, insects and animals on a farm all while maximizing food production. After the tours, full traditional Nicaraguan lunch prepared with products from the farm and a chance to meet the locals.
After eating the yummy if slightly over-priced gallo pinto at Finca Magdalena, wander down the road to the blue pulperia and order queso frito with tostones. Drink it with a tona and watch as the entire town of Balgue wanders by.
- Cafe Campestre (on the road Before Finca Magdalena). Amazing food cooked with local seasonal and (where possible) organic produce. Great place to meet people and hang out. Try "Ben's Hooch" for a refreshing, fruity, beer-like drink. US$3-$8
- Finca el Zopilote (between Balgue and Santa Cruz). Three nights a week, (Tu-Th-Sa) pizza is prepared using a clay oven. With more than 8 different types of pizzas, beer, rum and liquors, pizza night is often an occasion to party. There is often live music and fire shows.
- Finca Magdalena (near Balgue). A farmhouse on a cooperatively-run organic coffee plantation near the city. It's set on a hillside with gorgeous views of the volcanoes, lake, gardens, and sunsets, complete with hammocks, internet, and trails for exploring. Conditions and food are fairly basic but the price and the incredible view help to compensate. A hike into the jungle nearby will allow you to witness Howler Monkeys and numerous wild birds. Dorms for US$2.50 or private rooms from $8. Cheap beers and rum, full meals from $1 to $4. Dorm: US$2,50, Hammock: US$1,25.