Ballston Spa was first settled in 1771. The village was officially incorporated in 1807. It was served for four major railroads and was at that time the 11th most populated region located in the modern United States. The town is well-known for the natural mineral water used for healing, hence the name.
In 1803, the Sans Souchi Hotel located in downtown Ballston Spa was the largest hotel of it's time in the modern United States. All kinds of people from presidents, governors, wealthy citizens and senators stayed there.
- Take Interstate 87 (I-87) to exit 12 and follow Route 67 West. Ballston Spa would be preferable to drive through, because the public transportation system is limited and many attractions are a far distance from each other.
MegaBus offers an affordable trip from several destinations in New York City for usually around $5. The pickup destination in New York City is usually at a random street corner, though. You will be dropped off at Rensselaer Station in Albany, the capital of New York. To get to Ballston Spa from there, go to the East St. & Herrick St. bus station. Take the 114 West bus for about 10 minutes to the Broadway & Hudson Ave. stop. Walk for about a minute to the SUNY Plaza Broadway station and get on the 905 West bus for an hour to the State St. & Washington Ave. station. Wait there for the 450 North bus. It will take about 30 minutes on the 450 to get to downtown Ballston Spa. The heart of the village can be accessed from the Rt. 50 & Malta Ave. station.
The CDTA (Capital District Transport Authority) has multiple buses running through Ballston Spa. Bus number 451 runs down the main road, Route 50, at frequent stops, so for tourists without a car, it is an ideal service. A 3-day visitor pass ticket can be purchased from CDTA for a low cost of $10, which includes unlimited travel on all CDTA branded buses.
- Birthplace of Abner Doubleday – The supposed founder of baseball, Abner Doubleday, was born in Ballston Spa. The house he was born in is now an antique shop, called Doubleday House Antiques Gallery, 28 Washington St. Ballston Spa, NY, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 10am-5pm, except Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Dozer's Bar & Grill, 411 Geyser Road, ☎ .
- 1 Coffee Planet, 100 Milton Avenue, ☎ . Mon-Sat 7:00am-7:00pm Sun 8:00am-3:00pm. Coffee, baked goods, ice cream, and free wi-fi.
- Medbery Inn & Spa, 48 Front Street, ☎ .