A small and charming Basque town near the border with Burgos. Nestled in the mountains, it is an excellent base for exploring the wilderness.
- By bus BizkaiBus has service between Bilbao bus terminal and Balmaseda. Balmaseda does not have a bus station, so the drop-off point is the same as the pick-up point.
- By train FEVE runs two trains an hour to and from Bilbao (Santander Station).
Balmaseda is small, so walking is the best way to get around.
- Ayuntamiento-Town Hall, with its impressive columns
- Old Bridge, Roman style medieval Bridge (XIII)
- Saint Severine's church (XIV)
- Balmaseda Historical Museum
- Horcasitas Palace
- Saint John's church
- Saint Roch and Saint Sebastian's hermitage (chapel) on top of mount Kolitza
- Santa Clara church and museum
- Medieval market in March.
- Good Thursday and Good Friday Passion play: Procession and representation of Christ's Last Supper, Judgement and Crucifixion by locals.
- San Severino festivals: 23rd October.
- Restaurante "Las Piscinas"
- Restaurante "Iza"
- Bar "Los Gemelos"
- Bar "Sauto"
- Many cafes and bars around Plaza San Severino have a great selection of tapas
Try any one of the cafes or bars in Plaza San Severino.
- Hotel San Roque Avda. Encartaciones, 2. tel 946 102 268
- Hostal Begoña Plaza San Severino, 12. tel 946 102 326
- Hostel/Pension Mendia c/Martin Mendia, 6. tel. 946 102 258
- Refugio Kolitxa Monte Kolitxa tel. 946 800 000
- Albergue El Peñueco Barrio el Peñueco tel. 629 535 249
- Albergue La Garbea Monte La Garbea tel. 946 800 000