Barra Grande is a tranquil village located on the tip of Peninsula of Maraú in the state of Bahia. This old fisherman village has managed to preserve its unique charm and environment, partly due to difficult access. The village offers typical atmosphere of an old fishermen village, very relaxed lifestyle and splendid beaches.
- By small plane (air taxi) from Salvador.
- By ferry or quick boat from Camamu, which is about 2 hours away from Salvador. Camamu is also 90 minutes by taxi from Ilhéus, with a regional airport and flights from main cities. The ferry, actually adapted fishing boats, takes about two hours, the fast boats, for 6 people, make it in 30 minutes.
- By land from Itacaré. Dirt road, off-road vehicles only.
Walking, boat, mountain bike, horseback & 4x4.
- Camamu Bay
- Ilha da Pedra Furada - Small island got its name from a large stone, "Pierced Rock", dug by erosion. There is a natural water spring and a beach with coral reefs.
- Campinhos - A small village that is known for the house where Antoine de Saint-Exupéry stayed in the 1930s. With calm clear water and a rich submarine fauna, Campinhos is one of the best places around for diving.
- Swimming & sunbathing in various beaches.
- Scuba diving & snorkeling.
- Surfing & other water sports.
- Sailing. Camamu Bay is third largest bay in Brazil and excellent for sailing.
- Hiking. Camamu Bay is a sanctuary of preserved nature and wild life, with beautiful landscapes, mangroves, forests and many islands.
Handcrafts & beach wear.
- Pinocchio, ☎ . Praça do Tamarindo. Pizzeria.
- Bar & Restaurant Tubarão, ☎ . Praia de Barra Grande. Grilled meats and seafood.
- Uai Bahia, ☎ . Barra Grande. Typical food from Minas Gerais. Seafood & sushi bar.
- Point do Verão, ☎ . Rua José Melo Pirajá. Typical dishes and drinks.
- Graças a Deus, ☎ . Barra Grande. Over 30 special beers, snacks, snooker and Brazilian music.
- [dead link] Taipabas Hotel, Rua Vivaldo Monteiro 20, ☎ . 16 rooms with air conditioner & minibar. 100m from the beach. Restaurant & swimming pool.
- [dead link] Pousada Porto da Barra, Rua Vasco Neto 13, ☎ . 12 rooms with air conditioner, TV, minibar and private balcony with hammock. Located in front of the beach, next to the pier.
- Pousada El Capitan, Av. Vasco Neto 153, ☎ . 12 rooms in comfortable bungalows with air conditioner, TV, minibar and veranda with hammock. Close to the beach and the center of Barra Grande. Swimming pool, bar & library.
- Pousada Búzios, ☎ . 20 rooms with air conditioner, minibar & TV. Located in front of the beach. Bar & Japanese food.
- Pousada Tortuga, ☎ . 4 rooms with air conditioner, warm atmosphere, minibar, TV, breakfast, wireless internet. Located on the Três Coqueiros beach.