Bartica is a river port town of some 8,000, known as Guyana's Gateway to the Interior, located just above the confluence of the Cuyuni and Mazaruni Rivers to the south. Its name comes from an indigenous word for "red earth."
Bartica is accessible by road and the Essequibo River. Regular boat services are made to Bartica from Georgetown , Essequibo coast and islands via Parika. Travelling from Georgetown Stabroek Market.
Take a number No 32 bus to Parika (Guyana $500, US $1.50, Time 45 minutes) then a speed boat (Guyana $2500, about US $12, time one hour.) There is another choice of a cheaper , slower ferry that costs (US $3, time five hours)and only leaves Parika on Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday at 8AM.
Taxi cost $300 Guyana a drop within Bartica, but it is only really a square mile so you can walk everywhere. Bartica taxi drivers are reliable and friendly too, Barticans uses a lot of taxi as a result of the hills that is composed of. Bartica has several taxi services and all are reliable and safe.
- 1 Fort Kyk-Over-Al. Ruins consisting of small brick archway and some scattered foundations of a Dutch fort built in 1616 by Dutch captain Adrian Groenewegen that later served in repelling attacks by the British and French until the British finally took over. You have to get here by boat because it's on a 1.5-acre island in the confluence of the Essequibo, Cuyuni and Mazaruni rivers.
- 1 Aruwai White H2O Resort, ☏ +592 2257517. Fancy pool resort on the Mazaruni River. Has a hotel in case you want to stay overnight.
- 2 Teperu Resort. Another aquatic resort, this one more geared toward playing in the tannin rich river or spring. While you're in the area, you can also take the Teperu Ferry across the wide Mazaruni River.
Check out the Brazilian Restaurant owned by Francis on 2nd Ave across from a large Furniture store. It is a small pink shack that doesn't look much like a restaurant, but I guarantee it is the best beef on a stick you can find in Guyana.
Bartica has developed a lot of new restaurants such as the Upper Level Restaurant that is located at the corner of first avenue and fourth street, Rose Mary Restaurant that is located in second avenue, The J&D Spicy Corner Restaurant that is located in front street and also there is a great Chinese Restaurant the food is uncomparable that is located in front street opposite Courts.
Banks Beer, the Guyanese beer, costs $220-$260 depending on where you drink.
There is a yellow Guest House owned by a guy named Balkarran. It is located on Front Street, on the river, not too far from the hospital. He also does tours into the interior and to Marshall Falls. It is fairly reasonable, about $25 US ($5000) a night, clean, fan, right on the river so great breeze.
Other safe places are:
- Hotel Modern, on First Ave by the stelling. Also has a night club that is fairly active on Saturday nights.
- Platinum Inn, right next to Hotel Modern.
- Zen's Plaza, on Second Ave above Scotia Bank.