Baruun-Urt is the capital of Sükhbaatar province.
This town of 15,000, whose name means 'Eastern Range', lies in the eastern steppe of the Mongolian plateau. The town has prospered thanks to a new zinc mine and plentiful grasses that support over 2 million livestock.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Buses leave daily from the Eastern Bus Terminal in Ulaanbaatar at 08:00 and 14:00. The 08:00 bus arrives in Baruun-Urt at 23:00. The Bus Terminal is about 10 km east of the center of Ulaanbaatar. Return buses leave at 20:00 from Baruun-Urt. You must buy a ticket a day or two in advance. The ticket is for an exact seat by number. Stops to eat on the way.
- 1 Baruun-Urt Airport (UUN IATA). Only one airline flies from Ulan Bator. The airport has a grass runway.
- MIAT Mongolian Airlines, ☏ . The national airline.
- 1 Buddhist Monastery.
- 1 Viewpoint. A promontory you can walk to and look out over the town and steppe.
- 1 Naadaan Resort (Наадаан ресорт), ☏ . Ger-style resort, with breakfast and Mongolian dumplings in dining area on site.
- 2 Dariganga Hotel, ☏ . Very posh compared to the competition, just built.