Battle is a small town in the county of East Sussex, England, about 5 miles (8 km) inland from Hastings and is the aptly-named site of the Battle of Hastings, fought between Harold, King of England and William (the Conqueror), Duke of Normandy in 1066. The association with the famous battle, and the abbey built on its site, attract thousands of visitors each year.
The small town of Battle is literally built around the memories of the fateful battle on 14 October 1066, when Anglo-Saxon England fell to the Norman conquerors, determining the direction of the country for centuries to come.
Battle is reached by road by turning off the A21 onto the A2100 (OS Map 199; reference TQ 749157).
- 1 Battle Abbey and Battlefield, High Street, TN33 0AD, ☏ , fax: . Apr-Sep: 10AM-6PM, Oct-Mar: 10AM-4PM, closed 24-26 Dec and 1 Jan. At the southern end of the High Street, now maintained by English Heritage, the Abbey was established after 1070 on the site of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, the Pope having decreed that the Norman conquerors should do practical penance for the deaths inflicted in their conquest of England. William the Conqueror initiated the building, but it was only completed and consecrated in 1094 in the reign of his son William II (Rufus). The abbey is in an incomplete, partly ruined state, having been dissolved during the Reformation, then re-used as a private home. Visitors can stand on the reputed site where Harold was slain on 14 October 1066. adults £7.80, children £4.70, concessions £7, family ticket £20.30.
- 2 Church of St Mary the Virgin, Upper Lake, TN33 0AN, ☏ .
- 3 Almonry, Gardens and Battle Museum of Local History (Battle Museum), The Almonry, High Street, TN33 0EA, ☏ .
- 1 Chequers Inn (Restaurant in Battle), Lower Lake, TN33 0AT, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11AM-11PM.
- 1 Abbey Hotel, 84 High Street, Battle, TN33 0AQ, ☏ . 3-star grade II listed hotel with en-suite rooms and views of Battle Abbey. £95 - £100 / night.
- 2 [dead link] The Bull Inn, 27 High Street, TN33 0EA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 17th-century coaching inn with rooms to let (B&B-style).
- 3 [dead link] The George Guest House, 23 High Street, TN33 0EA, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. 300-year-old, 3-star hotel with extensive choice of rooms, including two with four-poster beds. £40-130/night.
- 4 The Powder Mills Country House Hotel, Powdermill Ln, TN33 0SP, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 18th-century listed country house 3-star hotel in 150 acres of parkland, woods and lakes.
The A21 trunk road passes about 2½ miles (4 km) east of Battle:
|Routes through Battle|
|London ← Tunbridge Wells ← Robertsbridge ←||NW SE||→ Hastings|