Benalmádena is a large town on the Spanish Costa del Sol. It consists of three parts; Benalmádena Pueblo, Arroyo de la Miel and Benalmádena Costa. The most worth visiting of these is Benalmádena Costa with its long stretch of sunny beaches, a lively nightlife and excellent cuisine.
- [dead link] the last resort (take the n-340 road toward Benalmadena for 4 km, then when you come off this road the place will be on your left hand side). 09:00-21:00. £2.50.
The Benalmadena  coast (Spanish: Benalmàdena Costa) is the southernmost portion of Benalmádena, this is the strip along the Mediterranean Sea. There are many hotels, bars, and of course beaches, and the Puerto Marina is here. The Puerto Marina is an open-air shopping mall, marina, and on-the-water (literally) condominium complex. Don't expect to find many people here when there's daylight, but after 22:00 the crowds appear. Next door to the shopping portion which surrounds the harbour, there is a complex containing Benalmádena's nightclubs. Arroyo de la Miel is the central section of the municipality. It is the home to many Britons, and its main street is lined with British pubs. English speakers will be at home here, but you will also have ample opportunity to practice your Castillian, or even more specifically, your Andaluz.
The closest airport is Malaga airport AGP IATA, which is along the coast, just a few minutes by train or car. You can get a taxi from outside terminal 2 where there is a taxi rank. A taxi from Malaga Airport To Benalmádenatown centre is around €29
Benalmadena can be reached by the frequent, inexpensive, and comfortable air conditioned trains which run along the coast from Malaga to Fuengirola, with a station at Malaga Airport. The station at Benalmadena is in Arroyo de la Miel, with taxis and buses to take you to all parts of the town.
- 1 Benalmádena-Arroyo de la Miel railway station, Av. de la Estación, 3.
Benalmadena is integrated in Malaga Metropolitan Transport Consortium. The following bus routes:
|M-115||Málaga-Benalmádena Costa (Directo)||Timetable||Map|
If you come out of Terminal 3 at Malaga Airport follow the signs for the taxi rank, Then what you do is you wave at the person in charge they then will guide you to your taxi and you tell your taxi driver the location of your hotel. They then will ask you to pay for the taxi ride.
There is a local bus service, the Orange buses, which costs €1.1 per person per journey operating within the town limits. It runs up to Benalmadena Pueblo via Arroyo de la Miel starting from both ends of the coastal road. Times are posted on the Orange Bus Stops. The Portillo buses, green and cream, run along to coast from Malaga right down to Estapona and from Benalmadena to Malaga or Fuengirola costs €1.2 per person. Taxis cost €5.5 per trip within the town limits during the week and 8 on Sundays; they can take up to 4 people. This place is hilly with several roads having the Cardiac Hill nickname so buses and taxis can be a valuable health aid.
- Benalmadena Marina. The inner part is surrounded by shops, cafes, bars and apartments and is nice to walk around.
- Butterfly Zoo, Avda. Retamar, Benalmadena Pueblo (adjacent to the Buddhist Temple). 10:00-18:00 approx. It features a great variety of butterflies from different continents. From Torremolinos, Benalmadena Costa and Arroyo take the bus that goes to Mijas (every half hour during the day) and alight at Estupa which is just beyond the village of Benalmadena Pueblo. The Buddhist Temple is easy to spot. By car, Exit 217 on the autovia and head towards Benalmadena Pueblo. €11.50.
- Boat trips. Some of these include dolphin watching.
- Cable car to top of mountain. An excellent trip. You can get there on the Sightseeing Tour Bus which tours the town on a one hour round trip and you can get on and off at any place. Get off at Tivoli World for the cable car trip to the top and then if you're up for it, a short steep walk to the peak of the mountain where the views are beautiful. The Birds of Prey exhibition on the mountain is inclusive with the cable car price (13 euro) and is a fascinating show with eagles, vultures and owls showing off their skills.
- Segway tours, Puerto Deportivo de Benalmadena, ☏ . 10:00-19:00. €35.
- Tivoli World - Theme park near the centre of town.
- Costa Party Catamarans operate luxury sailing catamarans and their English speaking crews are fabulous. The best boat trip, takes place daily from 10:00, out to sea looking for wild dolphins.
- The Atrium - a fine restaurant on Avenida de al Constitución, where a nice meal will cost €10-15 per person. There is a wide variety of dishes, and excellent recipes. It is spacious, having rejected the Spanish tendency to cram as much as possible into the smallest space. You will feel as though you're dining in England or the United States, but the recipes bring the best of Spanish raw materials to your table prepared as nouveau cuisine.
The Harpenny Bridge is a great bar to watch football. As you guessed, it is an Irish pub and they do amazing variety of whiskeys and spirits. They also are one of the only bars around allowed to sell black vodka.
Also Monkey Business, (in front of Hotel Riviera). A great place for drinks and fun. The food is great and bar staff are Irish so there's always great craic.
- [dead link] Picassos Show Bar, Plaza de Ibensa, local 14 (Beneath Eduardo’s Restaurant.), ☏ . Picasso’s will be serving drinks and there will be a free nightly raffle. Drinks are exceptionally low priced for this type of luxury venue.
- Robbo's Bar, Avenida De Bonanza. 10:00-02:00. Friendly family bar, good food (best of British) served all day, good selection of drinks at affordable prices, pool table and sun terrace, quiz nights Tu-Th Sa from about 22:00. Cheap prices.
There are many lodging options in Benalmádena.
- Hotel Alay Benalmadena, Avenida de Alay, 5, ☏ .
- Hotel Benalmádena Palace, Camino Gilabert, s/n, ☏ (Reception).
- Hotel Benalmádena Beach, Av. Antonio Machado, 43, ☏ .
- Holiday World Resort.
- Flatotel costa del sol.
- Hotel Bali Benalmadena.
- Holiday Village hotel.
- [formerly dead link] Holiday palace hotel.
- [dead link] Apartamentos Good Places.
- Hydros Hotel.
- Hostal Solymiel, Avda. Blas Infante, 14 29631, Arroyo de la Miel, ☏ .
- Apartamentos Don Gustavo, Avda. Antonio Machado, 60, ☏ .
- Hotel Las Arenas, Av de Antonio Machado, 122, ☏ .
- Apartahotel Ms Alay, Avda Alay s/n, ☏ .
- Best Tritón, Avda. Antonio Machado 29, ☏ .
- Best Benalmádena, Avda. del Sol, s/n - Ctra. Cádiz Km 220 a, ☏ .
- Best Siroco, C/ Carril del Siroco, s/n, ☏ .
- Polynesia Hotel.
- Vincci Aleysa Spa, Av. Antonio Machado, 57, ☏ .
- Xanit Hospital which is a privately run hospital is located in Benalmadena should the need arise.
Tours are available from almost everywhere in Benalmádena and lots go to Malaga, Marbella, Ronda, Estepona, Algeciras, Cadiz, Sevilla and Gibraltar (UK).
Be aware that if you decide to go to Gibraltar, you will need a passport or ID to get in. Some countries may require visas, although uncommon.