Benbecula or Beinn Na Faoghla is an island in the Outer Hebrides. In the main it's low-lying and sits between the larger islands of North and South Uist, to which it is joined by causeways. However it possesses more resources than its neighbours in the shape of shops, schools, colleges, and an airport as a result of having been, until recently, a military base and missile firing range. As a result, most visitors, perhaps unfairly, pass through Benbecula relatively quickly.
Balivanich is the main village.
Nunton is a Hamlet located just outside Balivanich
Creagorry is a small village at the south end of Benbecula
Uachdar is a village at the north end of Benbecula
Benbecula is the 'cushion' between the northern Protestant islands, and the Catholic communities of South Uist and Barra. It was dragged into the modern world more quickly than the other neighbouring islands by virtue of its military base and the need for supply routes and other facilities necessary for maintaining a military presence. These have now largely, if not totally, disappeared, but the island has been left with a legacy of unlikely institutional housing developments and, depending on ones viewpoint, the more welcome facility of an airport.
Car hire is available from three locations, MacLennan's Garage, Balivanich, tel: +44 1870 602191, Ask Car Hire, Creagorry, tel: +44 1870 602818 and Laing motors, Lochboisdale tel: +44 1878 700267 website: http://www.laingmotors.co.uk
- Beach down the west coast of the island.
- 1 Borve Castle (OS map ref NF 773505). A small ruin just off the main road. No facilities and no charge.
- 1 Uist Community Riding School, East Camp, Balivanich, HS7 5LA., ☎ . Horse and pony riding, including rides on the beach.
- See Balivanich for shops there.
- 1 Macleans Bakery, Uachdar, HS7 5LY. Mon - Fri 8AM-3PM, Sat 8AM-2PM. Small baker baking bread and oatcakes with a shop onsite.
- Stepping Stone Restaurant, Balivanich, HS7 5LA, ☎ .
- 1 The Airport Cafe. Open to non-fliers and there is free parking next the terminal.
- 2 Sgoil Lionacliet. Have a school lunch at Sgoil Lionacliet during the summer holidays.