- For other places with the same name, see Bharatpur (disambiguation).
Bharatpur is a city in Rajasthan state in India best known for the Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary, an important way station for many types of migratory birds including the rare Siberian Crane. This is a city with great history ruled by jats and has a distinct place in jat history.
- Bharatpur Airport (BHR IATA), near the city centre.
To Agra Local bus. Approx ₹40, 1 1/2 hours ride
To Fatehpur Sikri, Uttar Pradesh ₹12, 1 hr
Jaipur ₹90, 5 hr
Deeg ₹15, 1 hr
Alwar ₹45, 4 hr
Buses depart at bus station and also by the tourist reception center.
The Janata express (no 9023/4) leaves new delhi at 1:45PM and arrives in Bharatpur at 8:05PM, arriving in the capital at 12:50PM (2nd class sleeper ₹68/121). There are six trains daily to Sawai Madhopur (2nd class ₹78, 4 hr) and then at Kota after (2nd class/sleeper ₹43/121, 6 hr).
- From Delhi: Take NH2 till Mathura which is about 45 km from Bharatpur on a small road. The primary access to the highway is along Mathura Road in Delhi but, if coming from South Delhi or Delhi Airport, it is easier to take Aurobindo Marg (Mehrauli Road) and then work up to NH2 via Tughlakabad. While the highway is divided, it is worthwhile keeping an eye out for trucks, cars, and bullock carts heading the wrong way!
- From Jaipur: National Highway 11, a two lane undivided highway, connects Bharatpur with Jaipur. The distance of around 200 km can be covered in little less 4 hr.
Cycle rickshaws or auto rickshaws are available from the bus station and the tourist office. To hotels it is roughly ₹25 and from the train station it should be ₹30.
- Bharatpur Covered Hall
- DAO Building Bharatpur
- Diyalo Bangala Palace
- Kasrra Durbar palace
- Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary also known as Ghana, is a world famous sanctuary developed by Maharaja Bharatpur. The best time to see the park is in October to February when there is a lot of migratory birds, otherwise it can be relatively bird free. The best times for bird spotting are early evening and morning. Admission is ₹200, an optional driver is ₹100 per hr, and an optional guide is ₹150 per hr. Another way to see the park is to hire a bike at your hotel or entrance (approx ₹40/day)
- Lohagarh Fort or Upardangghari Fort only fort in India invincible till date, one of the gems in the great jats' crowns. A museum is also there in the fort.
- Bageshwari Temple
- Devghat One of the holiest Hindu places.
- Durga Temple
- Ganeshthan Temple The most famous Hindu temple in Bharatpur city.
- Ganga Mandir
- Harihar Temple
- Jakhadi Mai Temple
- Kalika Temple
- Pasupatinath Temple
- Rameshowr Temple
- Buns and Tins. Open air restaurant.
- Saras Hotel.
- Laxmi Vilas Palace, Kakaji ki Kothi, ☎ , . A heritage hotel with 30 spacious rooms, modern amenities and facilities.
- Shagun Guest House, ☎ . Single:₹ 80, Double: ₹90; both with shared bathroom.
- Swaraj Resorts, Opp Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary, NH-11 (Across the road from the bird sanctuary), ☎ . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 12 noon. Pool, wifi, multi-cuisine restaurant, well stocked bar, and lush green garden. ₹1,800.