Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Bradford Bingley can be accessed by bus, train (from Forster Square station)or, very pleasantly in summer, by canal boat.
- 1 Five-Rise Locks (Leeds-Liverpool Canal), Beck Lane, Bingley. The Five-Rise Locks is an impressive, Grade I-listed staircase lock on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Bingley, first opened in 1774, and therefore a remarkable relic of the early Industrial and transport revolution in northern England. As the name suggests, a canal boat passing through the hinged gates of the lock is lifted or lowered in five stages. The Five-Rise is notable as the steepest flight of locks in the UK, with a gradient of about 1:5 (a rise of over 59 feet, or 18 metres) over a distance of 320 feet / 98 metres. The intermediate and bottom gates are also the tallest in the country. The Five-Rise Locks is a major tourist attraction in the Aire Valley and the town of Bingley. Boats that pass through attract a lot of attention, especially at weekends when large crowds may be attracted to watch the locks in operation. Free.
- 1 Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Take a walk along the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, an impressive relic of the Industrial Age—still in daily use by canal boats—and early modern engineering feat. Walking north-west towards Skipton from the centre of town, past many typical mill buildings, visitors will encounter first the Three-Rise Locks, before reaching the spectacular Five-Rise Locks.
- 2 Bingley St Ives (St. Ives Estate). The St Ives Estate is a wonderful Country Park with woodlands, open moor, and a wildflower meadow, and paths throughout. The Adventure Playground is a fantastic feature for the children, and Coppice Pond offers both fishing opportunities, and a chance to feed the ducks.
The main Damart mill has a factory shop and once a month there is a Damart sale at a different venue nearby.
- 1 Five Rise Locks Hotel and Restaurant, Beck Lane, Bingley, Yorkshire BD16 4DD, ☏ . A family run hotel and restaurant in a former mill building, with pleasant view over the Aire river valley and Bingley town. £70-£112.
- Ramada Jarvis Hotel, Bradford Road Bingley, BD16 1TU, ☏ . This Gothic styled mansion is set among eight acres of stunning landscaped gardens. Bistro & regional dishes are served in The Arts Brasserie. £60 p/n.