Birštonas is a town in Lithuania. It has been a well known balneology (mineral water) resort since the 19th century. Lithuanian and foreign guests visit Birštonas for a spa, massages, medical treatment, rehabilitations in local sanatoriums.
The resort was founded in 1846. Many people from Russia, Poland and Lithuania visit sanatoriums for the area's mineral water and to receive curative mud applications. Birštonas is surrounded by pine forests and the Nemunas River, which is very good for the ill. Some hills offer nice views of the Nemunas River.
There are five large sanatoriums in Birštonas: Tulpė, Versmė, Eglė, Royal spa Residence, Vytautas Mineral spa. All of them offer halotherapy, therapeutic mud bathes, mineral water pools, baths, massages, and a wide range of curative procedures. Birštonas also has hotels and country farmsteads, adapted for rural tourism.
The town is not big. You may walk everywhere or rent a bike on the main square for a quick excursion. Visit the local tourist information centre for a plan of the town and more information about places to visit.
- Mineral water pavilion "Villa of Birutė" (Birutės vila), B. Sruogos g. 1A. In-house mineral water relaxation place. Relax in sun beds and breathe fresh air purified with mineral water. Free.
- Mineral water evaporation building "Druskupis", Crossroad of Algirdo st. / Kęstučio st.. summer time. Free.
- Kneipp Garden (Kneipo sodas), Birutės g. 16. 24/7. Body hardening procedures in the Kneipp Garden. Free.
- Mineral springs, Four sites around the town. Free.
- Birštonas Central Park. The park area where sculptures are arranged at the curves of paths is a perfect place for couples to take a romantic stroll, families with children to walk or for meditation that brings harmony to body and soul. Hidden amongst the pines, the works of Lithuanian sculptors elegantly complement the space, make it speak out and invite one to have a rest without rushing. This space harbours unique nature and modern art, with various sculptures combining soft irony, modernity and humour; you will want to touch them and recall childhood moments and fairy tales.
- Promenade (Promenada). 24/7. Promenade is a long wide path for walking along the largest Lithuanian river Nemunas. Free.
- Vytautas Hill (Vytauto kalnas). The hill is worth climbing for a great view. The hill has a winter skiing slope.
- Saint Anthony of Padua Church (Šv. Antano Paduviečio bažnyčia), Birutės g. 14. Free.
- Sanatorium "Eglė", Algirdo g. 14, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Sanatorium "Tulpė", B. Sruogos St. 4A, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sanatorium "Versmė", B. Sruogos St. 9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hotel Royal SPA Residence, Pakalnės St. 3, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Located in Birštonas, Royal Spa Residence is a 4-star hotel with a cosy restaurant, a bar, a spa centre with a swimming pool, hot tub and sauna complex, a leisure centre with billiards and table tennis, a wonderful winter garden, a well-equipped movie theatre and a modern conference centre. Royal Spa Residence offers mineral water, curative and health-restoration programmes in a perfect little corner of nature.
- Vytautas Mineral Spa, Jaunimo St. 12, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Vytautas Mineral Spa in Birštonas is a complex of mineral baths, swimming pools and saunas. It also comprises a medical diagnostics centre and a healthy lifestyle academy. There are 166 luxury furnished suites with windows opening up to stunning views for the comfort and relaxation of all visitors, including those who come to Bištonas for a treatment, romantic couples, families with children and large groups of people.
- Restaurant "Kurhaus", B. Sruogos St. 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 12:00–22:00, F-Su 12:00–23:00.
- Hotel-cafe "Audenis", Lelijų St. 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:00–23:00.
- Hotel "Royal Spa Residence" 4*, Pakalnės St. 3, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel "Sonata" 3*, Algirdo St. 34, ☏ .
- Central Apartments, Druskupio g. 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. €75.