Birnin Kebbi is the capital of Kebbi State in North West Nigeria. This article also covers Dukku, which is home to the Nigerian Military 1st Battalion, not to be confused with Dukku in North East Nigeria.
The early settlers of Kebbi, known as Kebbawa, were a subgroup of Hausa. Today, the inhabitants of Birnin Kebbi are Hausa and Fulani, who are Muslims. The population was just over 366,000 in 2016.
The city lies along the Sokoto (Kebbi) River at the junction of roads from Argungu, Jega, and Bunza respectively.
Birnin Kebbi has a centre for rice distribution across the country where another state comes to pick rice and other local foods like millet, sorghum, fish, goat and cattle.
Birnin Kebbi lies along an intersection of roads from Argungu, Jega and Bunza.
You can get to Birnin Kebbi by car, taxi or plane, depending on where you are coming from.
- Driving from Abuja to Birnin Kebbi is about 9½ hours.
- From Kano is about 9 hours.
- From Sokoto is about 2 hr 10 min cost about US$40–50
- From Ilorin is about 8½ hours.
You can get to Birnin Kebbi by plane from Sokoto at Sir Ahmadu Bello International Airport, which serves Birnin Kebbi.
- 1 Sir Ahmadu Bello International Airport (SABIA).
The most popular means of getting around the capital city are by commercial buses, taxicabs, motorbikes and tricycles also known as Keke Napep.
There are couple of beautiful places that visitors to Birnin Kebbi will find interesting to view. Notable among these places include;
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi
- Government Secretariat, Birnin Kebbi
- Heroes Land
- 1 1st Battalion (Dukku Barracks), Dukku, Birnin-Kebbi. Nigerian Military base of the 1st Battalion.
Birnin Kebbi has a popular festival in called the Argungu Fishing Festival. This festival is a popular one and it usually takes place in the area on annual basis.
There are a good number of markets and supermarkets in Birnin Kebbi. Prominent ones among them include:
- 1 Kara Market, Bayan kara, ☏ +234 706 359 5449.
- 2 Mlabbofish, Sani Abacha Bypass, ☏ +234 803 227 8515. 8AM - 5PM. A general store.
- 3 Sha'aban Supermarket., ☏ +234 803 259 6871.
- 4 Alhayat supermarket, Off Garkuwa Abubakar Musa Yau Road, ☏ +234 806 894 6946.
- 5 Shukura Supermarket, No 1, Opposite, Federal Secretariat, ☏ +234 803 817 7587. 8:30AM-6:30PM.
- 6 Aliyu dadin Kowa special meat, Birnin Kebbi - Argungu Rd, Argungu.
- Mami Market, Dukku Barracks (Dukku Barracks, Dukku).
- Daula Restaurant, Mohammed Adamu Aliero Road. Daula restaurant offers customers dine-in, takeaway and delivery service options.
- Peace Exclusive Suites & Restaurant, Along Sanni Abacha Bypass. This restaurant also has a hotel attached to it. The restaurant is quite popular and offers dine-in and takeaway service options.
- Deenyo's restaurant, Birnin Kebbi - Argungu Road, ☏ +234 806 780 1665. M-Sa 7AM - 9PM, closed on Sundays. Deenyo's restaurant is a restaurant that sells fast food such as chicken and chips, shawarma, pizza, salads, and smoothies.
- Blossom Restaurant and Cathering Services, 1. Patrick Aziza Road, Gesse Phase 1, ☏ +234 813 584 6600. M-F 8AM-8PM. They serve mostly African dishes and offer delivery, takeout and dine-in services.
- Shagalinku Restaurant, Murtala Mohammed Road lat=. Daily 8AM-11PM. Shagalinku Restaurant was designed in a quiet environment and are popular for their swift customer service. They also offer delivery service.
- MKC Restaurant and Events, Shop 43 & 44 Fatima Adamu Powa Complex Oposite CST Birnin, ☏ +234806 064 8086. 8am-9pm mon -sat.
- Zaidukhairi Zayyanu, ☏ +234 906 365 1605.
- God's favour restaurant, Unnamed Road lat=.
- Flourish VIP Bar, in Flourish Bar & Restaurant, ☏ +234 806 570 2947. 24 hours. Flourish VIP Bar offers takeaway for customers who do not wish to dine in. They do not perform deliveries.
- Break Fast Joint Birnin-Kebbi, 2 Murtala Mohammed Road.
- Peace Exclusive Suites & Restaurant, Along Sanni Abacha Bye Pass. M-Sa 8AM-9PM.
- Gesse 1, ☏ +234 905 752 5299.
- Saffar Guest Inn Ltd, d, Abubakar Umar Woro Road, ☏ +234 808 142 3151.
There are a few hostels and guest houses you can lodge at:
- 1 Fab International Hotel (FAB hotel), Church Rd opposite RCCG Badariya Area. ₦7200 per night.
- 2 Madonna Guest Inn, Opposite mammy Market Badariya Area. ₦2,400 per night.
- 3 Regal Suites Hotel Limited, Near Kent Village off Ali Bagubo House, ☏ +234 808 142 3151. ₦3000 per night.
- 4 Saffar Guest Inn Limited, Abubakar Umar Road Birnin Kebbi. ₦11,000 per night.
- 5 Asmara Lodge, Behind Presidential Lodge. ₦4000 per night.
- 6 Gesse Hotel, 94 Emir Usman Rd. ₦2650 per night.
- Nakowa Hotel, Sani Abacha Bye Pass, ☏ +234806 921 4686.