Black Hawk is a city in Gilpin County in Colorado's Front Range. Also known as "The City of Mills". It is a popular destination because casino gambling is legal. Nestled up in the Rocky Mountains with beautiful scenery and a 35-minute drive from Denver, Colorado
With a population of 118 it makes it the least populated city in Colorado. It is one of Colorado's oldest cities where prospector John H. Gregory first discovered lode gold. Blackhawk quickly became the milling center for the gold ore mined throughout the county. City leaders banded together with Central City and Cripple Creek on the 1990 Colorado ballot to allow limited stakes gambling in the commercial districts of the towns. The measure passed and gaming began on October 1, 1991. In 2008 additional legislation was introduced to raise the betting limit, introduce new table games and allow casinos to stay open 24 hours.
Most people will come in by the Central City Parkway, and then drive another 2 miles or so to get to Black Hawk. The Parkway has a lot of great sightseeing and natural features to see.
By plane then you are coming from Denver International Airport (DEN IATA) which isn't too far away about 90 minutes. Commonly referred to as DIA. It is located about 20 miles to the east of downtown Denver. Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines all maintain hubs at the airport in Concourses A, B, and C respectively. Most other major domestic carriers also have service here
Blackhawk has more casinos than Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1 Ameristar Black Hawk Casino, 111 Richman St, ☏ , fax: . One of the newer casino/hotels in Blackhawk, There are over 1,100 slot machines: 5¢ -$5 denominations,5¢ -$5 progressive video poker,12 live blackjack tables,12 live poker tables, 3 Roulette tables and 3 Craps tables
- 2 Isle of Capri Casino, 401 Main St, ☏ , toll-free: .
- 3 The Lodge Casino, 240 Main St, ☏ .
- Monarch Casino, 488 Main Street, ☏ .
- Saratoga Casino, 101 Main St., ☏ .
Some of the casinos offer all-you-can-eat buffets, and several of the town's restaurants are found inside of a casino.
- 1 Crooks Palace, 200 Gregory St, ☏ . Has really great food and will deliver Pizza and homemade Ice Cream to any of the local hotels
- White Buffalo Grill, 240 Main St (At Lodge Casino), ☏ . Su.- Th: 4PM-9PM; Fr-Sa: 4PM-10PM. Closed Tues. and Wed..
Many of the casinos also offer lodging.
- Chase Creek B&B, 250 Chase St, ☏ .
- 1 Gilpin County Public Library, 15131 CO-119, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu.9AM-8PM; W 9AM-6PM;Th 9AM-8PM; F 9AM-6PM; Sat 9AM- 4PM; Closed Sun and Mon. Free WiFi, public use computers, and scanning to your own flash drive. Printing is 10 cents per page.
There is a police force that strictly enforces the drinking and driving laws. So that being said be careful
- Central City is only one mile from Black Hawk, walking distance, just up the hill. There are shuttles that run between the towns also.
|Routes through Black Hawk|
|END ← Jct W E ←||S N||→ Nederland → Longmont|