Blackheath is a small town located between Medlow Bath and Mount Victoria in the Blue Mountains. It is 114 km west of Sydney, Australia and is 1056 metres above sea level. It has a population of around 4,000 but the population vastly increases on public holidays and weekends from the number of tourists staying in the town.
The town boasts several fine dining restaurants and good quality cafes. A popular farmers market takes place the 2nd Sunday of each month showcasing a variety of quality local and regional produce. Blackheath is also home to Australia's only puppet festival the One Van International Puppet festival held each January.
The area has a number of magnificent bush walks with easy access to the world heritage listed Blue Mountains National Park. Expansive views of the Grose Valley are available at the Govett's Leap lookout an easy 5 minute drive from the town centre.
Blackheath is on the Great Western Highway, after Medlow Bath and is quite hard to miss. It takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours from Sydney, depending on which road you take, and the traffic conditions.
Trains stop at Blackheath Station every two hours off-peak and weekends, and more frequently at peak times. An adult return ticket from Sydney's Central Station to Blackheath is $17.20, capped at $15 if using Opal.
The station is located near the main shops and gives good access to the town centre. A shuttle operates over the road from the station. Govett's leap is around 3 km from the station, and Evan's lookout is further. So, best to have a plan worked out if you are hoping to tour the attractions an vistas that the area is famous for.
Blackheath has some excellent lookouts which give great views of the surrounding bushland. Govett's Leap is most frequently visited and is bound in folklore surrounding a criminal who supposedly leapt off the cliff rather than be captured by law enforcement agencies, although this story is of dubious veracity.
Blackheath has a wide variety of different walking tracks and places to go to and experience. Try the Grand Canyon walk on Evans Lookout Rd. As its name suggests it is magnificent, diverse walk. Just Beautiful. Then go to the Bush Rock Cafe open Friday -Sunday 9AM-4PM enjoy lunch or a treat. 02 47877111
At the end of Hat Hill road there are several lookouts and tracks that have nice views one of them is a hill called Hat Hill and is how the road got its name. For free maps, information, and general local knowledge, call into The Blue Mountains Heritage Centre at the end of Govett's Leap Road, just before Govett's Leap Lookout (about 2 km from the highway). Open 7 days, 9AM-4:30PM (02)4787 8877.
From Govett's Leap Lookout you can start different walks, including the challenging 5 to 8 hours long Rodriguez Pass in the Grose Valley to Evans Lookout. Or for an easy 1–2 hours one-way walk to Evans Lookout take the Clifftop walk that crosses the creek just above Govetts Leap.
You can also take the Megalong Rd which will take you in the magnificent Megalong valley. Along the road there are two short walks (30 minutes each): Mermaids Cave (which appeared in a Mad Max movie) and the Coachwood Glen Forest.
Blackheath's newly refurbished swimming pools include a 25m pool, toddler pool and free-form pool. Open daily 25/11/06 to 1/4/07 (closed Christmas Day). Check opening hours as they vary, but are approx Mon,Tue,Thur 6AM-9AM and 3PM-7:30PM; Wed,Fri 3PM-7:30PM; Sat,Sun,& School Holidays 10AM-7:30PM. Admission - Adults:$4.20, Child/Concession:$2.60, Family:$12, Under 4:Free. Located in the beautiful Memorial Park, (just opposite the Caravan Park). Prince Edward Street, Blackheath. +61 2 47878018 or +61 2 47821748. 
There are several shops in Blackheath.
- IGA is a convenience store which also sells unleaded petrol and is situated at 211 Great Western Highway.
- Altitude Delicatessen, 5 Star Minimarket, The Butcher, The Bakery, and Blackheath Continental Delicatessen are all situated near each other on Govett's Leap Road.
- The Bogbean is a health food store which sells foods including grains, flour, nuts, organic snacks like chocolate, bulk honey, vitamin and mineral supplements, natural skin and hair care products and a small range of gifts including games and puzzles.
- The Vegie Patch is situated on the corner of Govett's Leap Road and the Great Western Highway, and sells fruit and vegetables, and various health foods.
- Old Tythe Barn sells miniatures and collectables, doll's houses, tin toys, lamps, bric-à-brac. Old and new. On the highway at the entrance to the railway station. 266 Great Western Highway (02)4787-7284
- Colliers Crystals is in the Colliers Arcade, and sells crystals, statues, and fountains. Govett's Leap Road, next to Victory Theatre
- Yuko Moon Beautiful gifts. Govett's Leap Road, opposite Victory Theatre
- Escarpment Tapas bar, 246 great western highway Blackheath, ☎ , e-mail: email no email. 11.30am lunch 5.30pm dinner. Great tapas restaurant with tasty food try the paella with a jug of sangria tapas from $8.00.
- Victory Café, ☎ . Is a popular place to eat at. Although there are not many tables inside, so unless you want to eat outside, it's best to book a table in advance.
- The Wattle Café, ☎ . Is another popular cafe in town. It has had the same owner for years
- Piedmont Inn, ☎ . Pizza Restaurant is an Italian Restaurant.
- Ho's Palace Chinese Restaurant, ☎ . Serves Chinese food and is able to seat over 150 people inside.
- The New Ivanhoe is the local pub. It serves pies which were mentioned in The Good Weekend magazine, and have been in extremely high demand ever since. People with wireless laptops can also connect to the Wi-Fi access point there to access internet. ☎ 4787 6156
- Blackheath Fish Shop, ☎ . Is owned by a Greek family and has been around since 1967.
- Ivanhoe Hotel Have a drink at the Ivanhoe. Pleasantly old-fashioned pub. Reasonably good and cheap counter meals.
- The Gardners Inn, ☎ . Is another pub which was established in 1831.
Blackheath has several motels, and guesthouses. A few of them are located on the highway for easy access to town and others are tucked away near other venues like the Golf Course.
- Glenella Guest House and Restaurant, 60 Govetts Leap Rd, ☎ . 56 - Blackheath, Capturing the old world ambiance indicative of the beautiful Blue Mountains, Glenella Guesthouse & Restaurant provide Blue Mountains accommodation suitable for romantic weekends, midweek getaways or family holiday stays.
- Blackheath Motor Inn, 281 Great Western Highway, ☎ .
- Blackheath Caravan Park, ☎ . Is on Prince Edward St, It is close to the Memorial Park and its Swimming Pool.
- Redleaf Resort, ☎ . Is near the Golf Course, has a restaurant and Austar Satellite TV in every room. 15 Brightlands Avenue
- St. Mounts Boutique Hotel and Trattoria, 194 Great Western Highway, ☎ , fax: (+61 2) 4787 8165. Blackheath N.S.W. 2785 Australia. St. Mount's combines the luxury and comfort of modern life with the charm and ambience of yesteryear. Set in two acres of landscaped gardens with adjoining parkland in the breathtaking beauty of the Upper Blue Mountains, this boutique hotel has been restored to capture its former elegance. Online reservation at best rates with instant confirmation starting near $.
- Mountains to the Sea, 194 Great Western Highway, ☎ , fax: +61 2 9974 1203. Blackheath N.S.W. 2785 Australia. Mountains to the Sea in Blackheath is a collection of three fantastic holiday houses.
- Mountain Dew Cottage. Set on a magnificent third-of-an-acre property, Mountain Dew Cottage is a two-minute walk away from Pope's Glen and the beautiful walking trail to Horse Shoe Falls and Govett's Leap. The property is bordered by bushland reserve and is totally private. No neighbours or road to be seen! Online reservation at best rates with instant confirmation on the official website starts near $.
- Malie's House. This holiday home has five bedrooms, two large living areas, the biggest bathroom and bath you're ever likely to see, stylish touches, ducted heating, two fireplaces and 20 acres of backyard. Online reservation at best rates with instant confirmation on the official website starts near $.
- Isabella. Isabella is a spectacular four-bedroom cottage with stunning views and 20 acres of playground! The view includes Pulpit Rock and the Grose Valley escarpment. Online reservation at best rates with instant confirmation on the official website starts near $.
- Allview Escape Cottages in Blue Mountains. Has exclusive and self-contained cottages that accommodate 2-20 people on a private 20 acres of natural bush land. It is a romantic destination in Blackheath, Blue Mountains. Tel: +61 2 4787 5391. Mob : 0418 457 722.
- Redleaf Resort, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. This idyllic Blue Mountains resort offers guests a range of resort rooms that suits their needs. Cnr Evans Lookout and Valley View Roads Blackheath Blue Mountains, NSW 2785 Australia Rates start at AUD$120.