Bochnia is one of the oldest towns in southern Poland, situated around 40 kilometres southeast of Kraków. The major attraction is the oldest functioning salt mine in Europe (since the middle of 13th century, although it's being closed now, except for the historic part still open for touristic reasons). The old town has still a great atmosphere.
There is very good bus connection between Bochnia and the nearest large cities. Bochnia is located on the Kraków - Przemyśl highway. It is very easy to get there by bus from Kraków, Tarnów or Rzeszów Airport.
Trains to and from Kraków leave every hour and cost around 10 zł (depending on the kind of train).
- Salt Mine (Kopalnia Soli), ul. Solna 2, ☏ . From 12th - 13th century, smaller than Wieliczka's one, but not less interesting. Sometimes called an underground town because of its size. Chambers measure 4.5 kilometres in length at 16 different levels. One of the chambers was converted into a sanatorium and you can spend a night there inhaling salt. There is also a restaurant supposedly located lowermost in the world. Like the Wieliczka salt mine, it's inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Ticket to the mine is around 30zł, for a night stay 60zł (night stay include additional attractions like a ride an underground train or 140 metre chute)..
- 1 Bochnia Settlement - Archaeological Park (Osada VI Oraczy), Campi 15, ☏ . Reconstruction of a wooden village from 13th century 10zł, children 8zł.
- St. Nicholas Basilica
- Old town
- Museum (Muzeum im. Stanisława Fischera), Rynek 20. 4zł, children 2zł; Sundays free.
- Wooden belfry. Part of 1500 km long Wooden Architecture Route in Małopolska. Rebuilt in 1991 after fire, closely resembling the original from the first part of 16th century.
- Butterfly Museum Arthropoda (Muzeum Motyli Arthropoda), ul. Tadeusza Czackiego 9, ☏ . Mo-Fr: 10.00 - 16.00; Sa-Su: 10.00-14.00. The largest permanent butterfly exhibition in Poland, over 4,500 specimens in four different sections. 9zł, children 7zł.
- Kiejdo Apiary (Pasieka U Kiejdów), ul. Chodenicka 78, ☏ . A place to try different kinds of honey, learn about its production and bees, see traditional beekeeping equipment.
- Swimming pool (Kryta Pływalnia), ul. Św. Leonarda 34, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regis Cinema (Kino Regis), ul. Regis 1.
- 1 Galeria Bocheńska, Plac Świętej Kingi 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 9:00-20:00.
- 2 Pharmacy 24h Remedium, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. the only 24-hour pharmacy in Bochnia
There are few hotels in and around Bochnia.
- Bochnia lies half way between Kraków and Tarnów
- Wieliczka Salt Mine and Castle - parts of the same UNESCO World Heritage Site