Bogra is a city in Rajshahi Division, one that had seen significant developments during President Zia's reign. The city is a good base for several day trips, including Paharpur and Mahastan, as well as a welcoming smaller city in which to wander and enjoy local food and shopping.
By road, it is approximately 5 hours from Dhaka. Comfortable luxury coaches offer tickets for approximately 1100 taka.
- 1 Shatmatha (Seven Heads). Roundabout in the heart of the city
- 2 Mahasthangarh (11 km north). 10AM-6PM. Mahasthangarh is the earliest known city in Bangladesh and the ancient capital of Pundravardhana. The museum on the grounds houses a small collection of artifacts discovered in the city as well as the nearby Somapura Mahavihara. 200 Tk.
- 3 Somapura Mahavihara (Paharpur Vihar). Located about 2 hours north-west of the city, this UNESCO-listed site is one of the best known Buddhist viharas. See Paharpur for more information.
- Mahastan. At least two interesting sites: the Mahasthangarh citadel, and Gokul Medh
- Sariakandi. To the east (1h by CNG), is a place of local villages, where the Jamuna river can be found (and explored)
- Zeout Kundu. From a story where if any one is injured by war and drinks from the well they are healed instantly.
- Bangladesh Spices Research Institute.
Shila Davir Ghat, Vasu Bihar, Mahi Saoar Grave and many other sites.
New market, 100 m north of Shatmatha, in front of Akboria is the place to find anything, really anything, from tailormade clothes to electric devices.
There is another market along with the railway, still on north of Shatmatta.
There is a decent market for electronic devices and copies, that is the building just northwest of shatmatha.
Akboria restaurant, 100 m north of Shatmatha. Good good, byriani and poretas, for a local price (~50 to 100BDT).
Shyamoli, just in front, is smaller but with the same good level of service.
Red chillies is 200 m south of Shatmatha, good food, higher grade restaurant (250-500 BDT per meal) as well as a guest house (1500BDT/night).
Fat Belly offers cheap Chinese/fusion meals in a comfortable environment off the street. Follow the sign up the alley and then left up the stairs. The owner will be keen to chat with any English-speakers.
- Naz Garden Hotel, Silimpur, ☏ . Very good 4* hotel outside of city centre. Has swimming pool and gym. There is a small boating lake behind the building. The restaurant serves reasonably priced food. Approximately 20 minutes by CNG autorickshaw from the main city. from Tk3100.
- 1 Hotel Momo Inn, Nawdapara, Rangpur Road, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
Other good hotels are Red Chillies (downtown), Northway motel (still inside Bogra, but more in the southern part of the main road).Hotel Sies Ta(3*).