Boscastle (Cornish: Kastel Boterel) is a spectacularly located fishing village and tourist attraction on the north coast of Cornwall, in the southwest of England. The oldest and most attractive parts of the village surround the cliff-bound harbour and extend up the river valley. The more modern part of the village rises up the steep valley sides surrounding the harbour and valley.
First Kernow Bus 95 from Bude or Wadebridge.
Boscastle can be found on the B3263 5 miles north of Camelford, 3 miles NE of Tintagel. Nearest trunk road A39 at Camelford.
The main things to see in and around Boscastle are the village and harbour, (especially at sunset) nestling in a spectacularly steep sided narrow valley, together with the surrounding cliffs and coastal scenery, most of which is accessible via the Cornish Coastal Path (see below). Specific attractions are:
- The Lookout. This vantage point gives unrivalled views of the harbour entrance and some of the most rugged coastline in England. To get there, follow the harbour quayside and then walk up the footpath to the left.
- 1 Warren Point. A vantange point to the east overlooking the sea and the small island of Meachard.
- 2 Museum of Witchcraft and Magic, The Harbour, PL35 0HD (Located alongside the harbour), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Apr-Oct: M-Sa 10:30AM-6PM; Su 11:30AM-6PM. The museum houses the world's largest collection of witchcraft-related artefacts and regalia. The museum has been in Boscastle since 1960.
- Walk the Cornish Coastal Path
Both the National Trust and Museum of Witchcraft have gift shops for those looking for local souvenirs.
- 1 Boscastle Pottery, The Old Bakery, The Bridge, PL35 0HE, ☏ . A family pottery producing original Mochaware.
- 1 Cobweb Inn, The Bridge, PL35 0HE, ☏ . Large free-house pub that sells local ales from Tintagel, St Austell, Rock and Newquay. The exterior stairwell banisters have a cobweb theme.
- 1 Boscastle Youth Hostel, Palace Stables, PL35 0HD, ☏ . Check-in: 5PM, check-out: 10AM. Run by the Youth Hostels Association of England & Wales. from £14.
- 2 Boscastle House, Doctors Hill, Boscastle, PL35 0AS, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10:30AM. Boutique B&B. 2-night minimum stay. £100-130.
- 3 The Old Parsonage B&B, Forrabury, PL35 0DJ, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10:30AM. Beautiful Georgian house, 5-star B&B, 5-minute walk across flower-strewn ancient farming 'stitches' to the south west coast path and close to Boscastle harbour. 5 spacious, stylish and comfortable rooms with luxury en-suite. Definitely the place to stay. £100-130.
- 4 Wellington Hotel, Boscastle, Cornwall, PL35 0AQ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. A 17th-century hotel at the old habour, in a castellated stone building with a bar and restaurant. 14 rooms, including two turret rooms. £60-200.
There is no cellular signal for the O2 network.
- Tintagel, with its ruined castle and reputed connections to King Arthur, is about 5 miles (8 km) away, either by foot along the coastal path or by road.