Express JR train from Tokyo costs ¥3,610 to Tateyama.
Trains don't go further south than Tateyama city. Even though most people go around by car, there is a bus service. Bicycle is also a great way to go around along the seaside.
- 1 Sunosaki Lighthouse (洲崎灯台). A lighthouse with a great view on the sea and neighboring mountain. Sweets are sold in the small store at the bottom. Sunset spot just beside on the same hill. Free.
- 2 Flower line. A road along the coastline, bordered with flowers.
- 3 Shirohama Flower Park. Lots of flowers, and a big greenhouse where firebugs can be seen at night. ¥420.
- 4 Sand hill (砂山). A surprising mountain flanked on each side by huge sand slopes. Local kids have fun sledging or sand skiing from the top. Climbing it is a fun 5-minutes hike and offers a nice view.
- Surf anywhere on the Southwest coast
- Scuba diving
- Fishing. Get on a boat and bring home all the fish you can!
- 1 Ocean Veil Country Club. Golfing with a view. Not cheap.
It can be surprisingly difficult to find a store, so bring sunscreen.
- Sashimi and Japanese spiny lobster in Tateyama city
- 1 Nemoto Marine Camping Ground. Vast dune area that acts as a (paid) campground.